Saturday, December 13, 2003

THE BATTLE IN SEATTLE

For those of you who have been paying attention, football is life. And while I enjoy football more than any other sport, and really cheer on my beloved Cougs, I'm finding that I'm am really developing a passion for one team in particular -- the Gonzaga Bulldogs. Maybe it's because they are from Spokane and I've been banished to the Midwest hinterlands for the last three years. Maybe it's because in the cynical world of college sports they run a clean program. Maybe it's because they really don't have any enemies and have become the darlings of the U.S., making their hometown proud. Whatever the reason, my family has developed quite an affinity for the team.

That being said, they have scored a major victory (at least at this writing). Missouri (#3) is treking out to Seattle to play GU (#17). Technically a road game for GU, they will have the overwhelming support of the crowd. Besides playing in an NBA arena, they are also playing on National TV. CBS makes their first broadcast of the NCAA season with this one, tip-off at 11 PST, 12 MST, 1 CST, 2 EST. Being a Cougar fan, I always get nervous when the spotlight shines too close because they usually tank. I'm hoping for a victory, but would appreciate a good game (even though the best BB game I have ever seen was last year's 2 OT tournament game between GU and UA and it still smarts they lost).

So what does this have to do with anything? Maybe nothing. But it sure is nice to have a place to be connected to that you can call home. A place that gives you that feeling of, "This is nice." Whether it be a TV broadcast of a hometown team or a well done liturgy, that feeling of connectedness is vitally important. And I'm hoping that I get connected to a parish out west relatively soon.

Peace

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.