Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Things

"So," you ask, "what's been going on?"

Probably a fair question since I'm not one to blog everything. Something my mom complained about me since before I was blogging . . . "I get up, go to work, come home, eat dinner, go to bed . . . if something changes I'll let you know."

At this pace, Dawn will have another 3000 posts before I even hit 1500.

So, what's going on?

For starters, a couple of months ago my VC organist was in the hospital over in Billings for heart surgery. After that, he was going to recuperate at some friends' home. I ran into the wife in the grocery store last week.

"So, how are you all doing with having Bob at your place?"

"Oh, he's not at our place. He went back to the hospital three weeks ago because he was having difficulties."

"Thanks for letting me know . . . IN A TIMELY MANNER!!! It's due to people like you that when people die or go in the hospital they wonder why their priest doesn't know anything .... You bimbo."

Okay .... I only actually said the first five words in that statement. The rest was just bouncing around inside my head. Well that, as well as the fact that I looked at her.

Apparently, as sweet and charming as I look (see my photo on my profile page), Jane tells me that I can send a bear back into hibernation with a certain patented look of freezing death.

It must have worked, because this past Saturday evening I received a phone call letting me know that Bob had died.

Bob was a lonely, solitary man who moved out here from Illinois many years ago. No family. No kids. And always living right on the edge of poverty. This week is going to be a "get organized" week, and the funeral will be next Tuesday.

Okay .... wow ... that was a little longer than I had planned on. In short, here's what else is going on at the moment:

Deanery meeting today, Vestry meeting tonight, Lenten Breakfast Wednesday morning, service and class preparation Wednesday day, City Council educational meeting Wednesday evening, bar night later that evening, sermon writing Thursday, double-dip bar night Thursday, and then laundry and miscellaneous housework on Friday.

Just another boring week in the life of a rather unspectacular priesty boy in SW Montana.

8 comments:

Padre Mickey | 3:14 PM, March 04, 2008  

I was taught that intuitively knowing when your parishioners are in the hospital is part of the grace of ordination. At least my parishioners believe this.

Anonymous | 12:58 AM, March 05, 2008  

When you say "Bob," are you talking about Bob Wirtz?

Reverend Ref + | 8:07 AM, March 05, 2008  

Craig,

Yes.

The funeral will be at St. Paul's in VC, next Tuesday, at 11 a.m.

You are welcome to attend.

Unknown | 11:42 AM, March 05, 2008  

I actually lost a parishoner - not due to death - but because I didn't know they were in the hospital. Did anyone, including his wife tell me... "NO!" Yes, I must get much better at the mind reading. Perhaps Severus Snape could teach me Legilimens!?!

Anonymous | 10:36 PM, March 06, 2008  

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be able to make it, due to prior commitments.

Bob was quite a character, and my family thought very highly of him.

Anonymous | 10:42 AM, March 08, 2008  

Oh yes, "the look". I'm sorry to hear of Bob's death. Were you able to see him before he died?
Mom

~**Dawn**~ | 10:51 AM, March 11, 2008  

Ummmm... what are you trying to say? =P

Reverend Ref + | 10:37 PM, March 11, 2008  

Mom: No, I didn't get to see him.

Dawn: Um .... nothing ... just that you're ... um ... prolific. Yeah, that's it, you're a prolific writer that lots of us enjoy reading.

First time comments will be moderated.