Saturday, April 05, 2008

Saturday stuff

Today is Saturday, April 5, 2008. Nothing particular happened on this day.

Except that this is the day My Daughter attends her first prom.

Oh dear.

The day started normal enough. She was off to go help her FCCLA group serve breakfast and lunch for something (I forget what). While she was doing that, Mrs. Ref and I were to help supervise the decorating of the UMC parish hall where the prom dinner will be served.

That plan got sidetracked for me when one of my parishioners ended up up in the hospital today. The good news is that he's doing okay and just needs to be monitored for the day/night. The other good news is that I was going to borrow his car to chauffeur My Daughter and her friend to the dinner and then to the dance (he's got a nifty cool PT Cruiser), so his car is already here in town.

After I spent some time with him, I headed up to VC to finish taking care of the mess left behind after pulling up carpet. I was also going to copy bulletin inserts. And I had instructions from Mrs. Ref to bring the tool box home so she could smash macadamia nuts for her scones that she's baking. As I walked into the church and down to my office, I suddenly realized that I had left my office keys at home. So much for the copies and getting the tool box.

I did manage to find a few tools laying around that I used to clean up the mess. After that, I worked on getting the remaining candle piece that had melded to the brass followers out. That is a pain in the a**.

Seriously -- does anyone have any trick to this chore besides a screw driver and ball pean hammer?

Anyway . . . I got all the chores done (except for aforementioned copying), came back down to Sheridan and picked up the corsage for The Kid.

She is currently just out of the shower and the pre-prom prepping will soon commence. In about two hours, I will get changed into an appropriate chauffeur-looking outfit and drive the girls to the dinner and then to the dance.

My Girl is going to prom.

Oh dear.

5 comments:

Unknown | 6:17 PM, April 05, 2008  

Wait! I didn't realize she was older than MY daughter! (Who now has a boyfriend.) How can we make this stop?!?!!

Anonymous | 6:38 PM, April 05, 2008  

La la la la la la, I can't hear you, la la la la.

EYouthWNY | 8:29 PM, April 05, 2008  

Been there, done that. You'll survive.

From DaYouthGuy's wife (the sacristan) try pouring boiling water over the follower (do it over a pail NOT down the drain or you'll another problem to clean up). Wax melts a little follower comes off.

Good luck Dad. (With the prom. My daughter is away at college now. Next year she'll have her own apartment. I'm already not sleeping well)

Anonymous | 9:13 PM, April 05, 2008  

Daughter's prom. I remember that. "Oh, dear," is exactly right.

What would happen if you boiled the followers? Might not be good for the brass.

Reverend Ref + | 12:27 AM, April 06, 2008  

Songbird: I'm not sure we can make it stop. Hang on.

Craig: LOL!!!

DYG & Dawg: Thanks for the boiling water tip; I'll remember that next time.

DYG: Maybe you could offer to go over to her new apartment and help decorate???

First time comments will be moderated.