Saturday, November 22, 2008

Evolution

I am not a scientist. I do know, however, that in scientific terms, a theory is a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena; as opposed to how the word has come to be used among the general populace where it means a guess or conjecture. This difference in use and misunderstanding of how the word is used in the scientific realm is just one of the problems in the battle between the scientific theory of evolution and the non-scientific doctrine of creationism.

I am not a scientist. It has always been my understanding that evolution dealt with survival of the fittest, adaptability to environmental changes and the like. The short answer to this is that good genes remove bad genes, stronger genes eliminate weaker genes, and the overall health and strength and whatnot of the species improves.

So, if I've got that right, can someone please tell me why . . . with my eyes that have never needed any help seeing and have only experienced wearing sunglasses, and with my wife's eyes that probably never worked right from the beginning and can't see the BIG ASS "E" on eye charts without glasses . . . why my daughter was told yesterday that the glasses she was supposed to wear only occasionally are now not good enough and we need to spend $200 more for stronger lenses that she must wear all the time? Why is that?

I want to talk to Darwin.

1 comments:

Bruno | 9:04 AM, November 23, 2008  

only would have worked if you found your wife's lack of good eye sight to be so repugnant you wouldn't have co mingled your biology.
I guess all those biblical purity codes were a way of keeping evolution going? There is a whole other debate for you,

First time comments will be moderated.