Monday, December 22, 2008

No words . . .

Today I wandered around town putting up fliers for the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day services. Stopped in at the usual businesses -- the gas station, the credit union, the deli and coffee shop, the grocery store and general purpose store -- as well as the two bars. While I was doing that, I was approached by two very enthusiastic Mormon missionaries.

They wanted to know if I needed any kind of help around my church in spreading the good news of Jesus Christ.

"No, I think I'm doing okay in that department."

"Is there anything we can help you with around town?"

"Nope, got it handled."

"Are you sure there isn't anything we can do for you?"

"Yep, but thanks for the offer."

"Well . . . can you maybe tell us about someone in town who might need to hear the message of Jesus Christ?"

"Have you tried the bars?"

. . . thoughtful pause . . .

"Anyone who might be more receptive?"

"Nope."

"Well . . . can we give you an information sheet on the church and how Jesus . . ."

"Look . . . you really don't want to start talking to me about the different theologies of our two churches. So why don't you just keep that and be on your way."

"Oh . . . okay. Have a good Christmas."

"You too. Stay warm."

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.