Monday, February 09, 2009

Some Updates

If you read my sermon from yesterday, you'll note that I talked about blogs somewhat. One of the things that surprised me when I put up my Sitemeter thingy was the many different places people who read my blog (or at least looked) were from.

One of my visitors is a priest from Australia, Katherine Bowyer. She sent me an e-mail early Sunday morning that, unfortunately, I didn't see until later that night. I wish I had read it Sunday morning because it would have been a great tie in with my mention of blogs. Anyway . . . enough of that. Here's what Mthr. Katherine had to say:

I know from reading your blog over the past few years, that you and your
community are only too aware of the devastation and power of bush fires. I
write to ask for your prayers for the people of the state of Victoria at
this time.



Today, the full horror of bushfires that rages through parts of the state of
Victoria are becoming known (about 800 kms from where I live, but the threat
of fire is always present for us in Australia). At this stage the death toll
is 84 and growing. The following article gives some idea.

Please keep the people of Australia in your prayers as they battle these wildfires and deal with the devastation that brings.

In other, happier news . . .

The Kid seemed to have a good interview on Saturday as she went before the Group That Holds Her Foreign Exchange Experience In Their Hands (I tried to think of another name, but C.O.M. already taken). She seemed to be poised and articulate and she looked . . . well . . . let's just say she didn't look so much like my little girl anymore. Okay, so maybe I lied when I told the birth instructor that what I was looking forward to the most was the day she moved out.

And last night we had our first attempts at an area youth group. The plan was to show an episode of God, the Devil and Bob, but we had some technical difficulties in that the old tv the church has isn't compatible with the new dvd player we purchased. So . . . we simply ended up playing a couple of games and having a good time. We didn't have a bad turnout, I thought, for our first time. We ended up with six kids; but we knew a couple of others were sick, and at least one had another conflict. So it's got possibilities. Now we just need to figure out how we're going to get a tv and dvd player that work on our very limited budget.

That's about all I've got for now. Now it's back to the routine as I start prepping for next Sunday.

7 comments:

Unknown | 11:57 AM, February 09, 2009  

Oi... had the same problem with my TV / DVD. Go to your closest Radio Shack (it should be within a 100 miles of you) and tell them what you are doing. There is a special box - about $25 - that will tie the digital to the not so digital. Works well for me in Anaconda and DL.

Reverend Ref + | 3:08 PM, February 09, 2009  

Or . . . I could just get a decent DVD player that hooks up correctly to the tv instead of this little rinky-dink thing we've got now.

Susie/Nueva Cantora | 11:10 AM, February 10, 2009  

Prayers for Australia indeed... news since sunday indicates that the fires may not just be "wildfires" but arson. Lord have mercy.

Susie/Nueva Cantora | 11:11 AM, February 10, 2009  

Prayers for Australia indeed... yesterday's news raised the death toll, and indicated that the fires look like arson, not just "wildfires." Lord have mercy.

Anonymous | 1:55 AM, February 11, 2009  

Why don't the TV and DVD work? Mismatched connectors? Coax on the DVD and twinlead on the TV?

If that's the case, I have a spare twinlead-coax connector that I can send you.

Reverend Ref + | 9:29 AM, February 11, 2009  

Susie: Yes, I heard that as well. If I were the judge, before sending the guilty party to prison for arson and 100+ counts of murder, I would send him to the front lines with an admonition my mother used to give me: "You helped make this mess, you can help clean it up."

DD: The DVD player has three color-coded cables (red, white & yellow), and no cable-coax connector. The TV has a cable-coax connection, but no place for color-coded cables. I think this weekend I'm going to take Fr. John's advice and go look for that special magic box. What I really want is a tv/dvd combo, but we don't have the $350 minimum to buy one.

Anonymous | 9:04 PM, February 11, 2009  

Prayers, indeed. A friend of ours hails from that part of Australia and is mourning the death of many she knows. It's horrific.

First time comments will be moderated.