Friday, March 13, 2009

The World is Still Luddite

I have been accused of being a Luddite for . . . well . . . probably ever since someone ran across that word and thought, "Hey, I know this guy . . ."

'Tis true. My palm pilot consists of the pocket calendar the Church Pension Group sends out to all the clergy every year, and my stylus is one of those refillable engineering pencil things. I use computers because I have to. I refuse to use a laptop because they annoy me. I miss my IBM Correcting Selectric III typewriter.

We received a letter in the mail today. It was from a local chapter of a national society asking her to be part of it. That's great news. It also consisted of a six page application form with a note attached:

MUST BE TYPED

Who owns a typewriter? Even this Luddite can't accommodate their request.

So when will the people of this computerized, digitized world realize that they can no longer send out forms requiring people to TYPE them???

7 comments:

ymp | 12:50 PM, March 14, 2009  

Sure they can. You just scan it into your computer as text and then type away. Print out the final product and toss the letter they sent you.
Okay, really, I find those incredibly annoying too. But I know people who do the whole scan and type thing.

Reverend Ref + | 1:15 PM, March 14, 2009  

ymp: That's assuming I a) have a scanner and b) know how to use it.

"NO" on both counts.

ultraspy | 9:25 PM, March 14, 2009  

Does the place she's applying have a website? Perhaps there are pdfs or even documents that you can download and fill out? There are ways to turn pdfs into documents ... easy ways!

Anonymous | 12:24 AM, March 15, 2009  

We have a typewriter if you need it. Got it when the kids were filling out scholarship forms.

Kali

Bruno | 8:41 AM, March 15, 2009  

must be the clueless society who sent the application, she most likely doesn't want to join them anyway, right?!

The Lovely Wife | 10:27 AM, March 15, 2009  

They do have a website and the form has already been scanned to it for our convenience. I also have access to a scanner at work and I KNOW how to USE it.

Reverend Ref + | 10:19 PM, March 15, 2009  

Ultraspy: Yes, they do have a website, so I can download the document and treat it as a Word doc.

Kali: I'll keep that in mind.

Bruno: I don't know about clueless, but people really should think about these things.

First time comments will be moderated.