Friday, April 10, 2009

Timing is everything

Today is Good Friday. You knew that.

Today we walked the Stations of the Cross through town, starting at the church and returning there to participate in the Good Friday liturgy. But you probably knew that.

What you may not have known is that my day was full of good timing.

The first being the actual walk. I try to time the walk so that we end up back at the church close to noon so that those who choose not to process with us, but still want to come for the liturgy, can participate at a scheduled time. In past years, it's been a hit or miss situation.

Today I got it right. We gathered at 10:45 for some instruction and opening prayer, and began processing about 10:50. We ended up back at the church at 11:55.

My OCD gene was very happy.

The second timing issue, and vastly more important, had to do with our Paschal candle.

I ordered a new Paschal candle around the second week of Lent. Maybe it was the first week, I don't recall; but it was plenty early to have it here for Easter.

Two weeks ago I called the company and said, "Um . . . I ordered a Paschal candle and still haven't seen it. Can you maybe give me an update on it?"

The answer I got was one you never want to hear: "Oh . . . we had a problem with that and apparently the order to the manufacturer never went through. We'll get it out immediately and you should have it early next week."

I consider "early next week" to be no later than Tuesday. I also might mention that "early next week" was Monday and Tuesday in Holy Week.

Tuesday mid-morning, after the usual UPS delivery times, still no Paschal candle. I called the company again.

"Okay .... it hasn't shown up. I want to know where it is and when it will be here because, you know, this is SORT OF IMPORTANT."

"Yeah .... there was some sort of miscommunication. We'll get on that."

So they did. They said, "It's being shipped out priority, it will be there Friday. Here's the tracking number."

Without going into my obsessive tracking habits over the past few days, it was waiting for me at the house after services.

Yep, timing is everything.

3 comments:

Mark J. | 8:24 PM, April 10, 2009  

How about this for a paschal candle mishap: I was sitting around one of the offices here on Tuesday and one of the Roman Catholic contractors had their huge paschal candle out for cleaning off drips. As she's doing that, she has it propped up against a trash can. I turned away for a bit, then heard "GASP" CRASH. It toppled clean over, leaving a jagged break right in the middle. No way would it stand up in church.

They tried just about everything, but there's no way to "mend" a candle that size.

Yesterday I saw approval for a brand new candle. I just hope they can get it in time!

Reverend Ref + | 10:31 PM, April 10, 2009  

Ouch. Thought of two things:

1) I don't suppose they could melt it back together;

2) I know for a fact that Jane was in Montana.

Fr. John | 11:54 PM, April 10, 2009  

HAA HAA!! Jane+ is only good with croziers!!! VERY FUNNY!!

First time comments will be moderated.