Friday, January 18, 2008

Ah, Nuts*

So spoke my Governor, Brian Schweitzer to the Dept. of Homeland Security (DHS).

It seems that DHS is pursuing compliance with the Real ID Act of 2005. In short, that act

requires states to make all current identification holders under the age of 50 to apply again with certified birth and marriage certificates. The rules also standardize license formats, require states to interlink their DMV databases and require DMV employee background checks

and we have until May 11 to comply; or, I'm assuming, troops will be diverted from Iraq to Montana.

Additionally, a DHS policy maker suggested earlier this week that Real IDs could be required to buy cold medicine and for employment verification.

Montana isn't the only state rebelling, as my former state, Washington, is also bristling at this latest intrusion into personal privacy.

When confronted with a push for states rights and non-compliance, DHS put forth this:

But Homeland Security spokeswoman Laura Keehner says DHS has no intention of blinking. "That will mean real consequences for their citizens starting in may if their leadership chooses not to comply," Keehner said. "That includes getting on an airplane or entering a federal building, so they will need to get passports."

So in other words, if we try to stand up for our personal rights against Big Brother and the New Amerika, we are threatened with "real consequences."

Everybody repeat after me: And I'm proud to be an American .....

The stories can be found here and here.

* This refers to the famous words of General Tony McAuliffe when the Germans asked him to surrender.

2 comments:

Anonymous | 1:26 AM, January 19, 2008  

Oh! Oh! If we invade Montana I'll volunteer to deploy as chaplain! See you then!

What a headache. I don't even know where my birth certificate is. I guess I should consider getting a new one issued, just in case.

Of course I have a passport that's good for umpteen years and a military ID. So no worries about boarding planes for now, I guess.

Do you need a Real ID to get a passport? Wouldn't that be funny. Heh.

Anonymous | 1:27 AM, January 19, 2008  

Hey, wait... Under 50? There are no terrorists over 50?

First time comments will be moderated.