Monday, December 15, 2003

TRADITION REDUX

We have a friend who collects creche sets (or, if you prefer, Nativity scenes). I did not know this. As far as hobbies and collectibles go, this is a pretty good one. However, it is awfully difficult to find these things that have not been corrupted by mainstream society. So my daughter walks into our friends house and informs her that all of her sets are "wrong." Apparently all of her sets not only had baby Jesus in the manger, but the Wise Men/Magi/Three Kings were gathered around right there next to the shepherds. How does this happen in a seminary??

But hey, if she wants to put everything up as her personal tradition, that's her call. I'm still looking for a set that contains two Marys (one pregnant, the other not) and a baby Jesus that can be removed from the manger. I might have to have one made just for me.

In other traditional news, I still haven't heard back from the program director at the Fish. I may have to take my complaint directly to the morning dj. And my wife pointed out this morning during their "12 Discs of Christmas" promotion, "Why don't they do this during the 12 days of Christmas? It would make more sense." Good question. I think I'll ask about that also.

Isn't it funny how people pick and choose what traditions are important to them. And then try to convince everyone else that "my way is the right way." I'm just as guilty as the next person. Which part of the Christian story, though, is vitally important? Does God care if our creche sets have Jesus before Christmas or the Wise Men before Epiphany? Will God be upset if we produce bibles with inclusive language? Are we really in bad shape for openly including openly gay clergy? Or women? And the list goes on. If I may change a word: "The tradition was made for man, and not man for the tradition."

Peace

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.