Friday, May 13, 2005

QUOTA SYSTEMS?

I got a call from the nursing home this morning. "Reverend Ref, Kay asked us to call you about her father. He's in the last stages and she wanted you to see him."

So I donned my shirt and collar (today being my day off), and hitched a ride to the nursing home with Mrs. Ref. Dad was not doing well at all. Major liver failure and skin about the color of that little yellow AIM icon dude on your computer screen.

He was still relatively coherent and acknowledged my presence, but didn't really care to have me there. Did what I could, helped make him a little more comfortable, etc. etc. Just about then, a relative walks in.

"Hi, I'm Craig. How's he doing?"

"Not so well. Uncomfortable, difficulty breathing -- but he does appear to be coherent."

"Has he accepted Jesus Christ as his personal savior?"

Um . . . What???? Where did this come from? I wanted to say, "Why? Do you need to baptize him to meet your monthly quota?"

I mean, the guy's dying for heaven's sake, and your more interested in whether or not he's made a personal confession of faith? Give me a break.

I looked at him and said, "That's between him and God, and I don't know the answer to that."

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.