Saturday, July 23, 2005

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING REALLY DIFFERENT

Some of you may have wondered where the whole Reverend Ref came from. Well, before I got into this whole priesty-boy business, I spent 13 years as a high school football official.

I love football. In my mind, it really is the only sport (except maybe hockey, but I can't skate so I'm relegated to simply watching). One of the best years of my life was around 1983 - 1984 when I had the good fortune to watch NFL & NCAA games on the tube in the fall as well as the USFL the following spring and the CFL the following summer. Not an NBA game in sight. I was in football heaven. But I digress.

So I was one of the men in stripes for a very long time, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Then, in 2001, we moved to Chicago to attend SWTS. On one of my visits, a student told me, "You have to have a hobby to get you away from school." I took all of my gear with me, thinking that I might be able to officiate there. Um .... not so much. However, I did manage to officiate six games in my time at seminary. Each year I officiated the SWTS vs Garret game and the SWTS vs Nashotah House game. Although I attended SWTS, when I put those stripes on my loyalty was to the game, and nobody could say I wasn't anything but fair.

And the point of all of this? Last year was too soon, but I contacted the MHSA earlier this month and got the necessary information about becoming an official here. I received my packet in the mail this past week and it included the 2005 Rules Book, Case Book and Official's Manual.

As Mrs. Ref said when she saw me open the packet, "My little boy is back!" It was better than Christmas.

So -- it would seem that the Ref part of Reverend Ref has finally returned. And the really good news is that I only need to purchase a few things to make me game ready. It's been a long four years, and I am sooo looking forward to this.

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.