Saturday, August 27, 2005

DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO TITLE THIS

Good To Be Back -- On the football field that is. It was nice working with a crew again. Nice to watch a game from up close (although tonight was a scrimmage not a game, but you get the idea). Nice to blow the whistle for real.

I'm Old -- Well, maybe not old, but I had forgotten how quickly I need to move. "Quick" is not "fast," and "quick" is much more dangerous. Although I've been working out and walking practically everywhere, I didn't work on my quickness, and I paid for it. I strained my right hamstring, probably pulled my left inner thigh, and while trying to compensate for those two injuries, made my back sore. Oh my. I hope I can survive the season.

They Wear Shorts -- Um, yeah. I get to the scrimmage site, and the other three guys are in shorts. "Do you have any shorts?" . . . . "No." . . . . "You better get some, we wear shorts during all the day games until it cools off." . . . . Okay, I'm not in bad shape and my legs are pretty decent (someone once told me that all my best features were below my waist -- take that as you will), but I've never officiated a game in shorts. But, if that's what the crew wears ....

I Need DEET -- At the second scrimmage in Dillon tonight, the mosquitos outnumbered us by about 60-1. It's hard to officiate a game while you're swatting bugs off your face.

This Is Going To Be Fun -- Regardless of all the aches and pains, uniform changes and bugs, I'm still glad to be back on the field.

4 comments:

Anonymous | 1:12 AM, August 27, 2005  

Think stretching prior to the game might be good, also lots of water prior to a game, and Anaprox wouldn't hurt either. But being the good wife I will massage the achey legs when you come home from the games just like always. I love ya even if you are getting older. And I look forward to seeing you in the shorts. You have awesome legs!

Anonymous | 9:22 AM, August 28, 2005  

So, do you wear short sleeved shirts with those shorts?

And doesn't the cold season kick in kinda early up in them there mountains? If so, you'll be back in long pants before you know it, right?

Reverend Ref + | 12:38 AM, August 29, 2005  

Mark: Yes, we wear short sleeved shirts with those shorts. And the cold season does kick in early, but it can remain fairly warm in the daytime long into September. Basically the shorts are for the day games, JV and Varsity for schools without lights at the field. Knickers at night.

Dawgdays | 6:46 PM, August 29, 2005  

Baseball umpires wear long pants when it's cold. Of course, they wear long pants when it's hot too.

When you're talking about refereeing, it reminds me of me talking about umpiring. I'm glad you're back on the field.

Have a great season!

First time comments will be moderated.