Monday, February 19, 2007

KING GEORGE??

I am not a big fan of our current administration. There have been times when I've supported actions taken, for sure, but for the most part I tend to think that the Bush administration is one of the most corrupt, if not the most corrupt, administrations in U.S. history.

And for the record, I'm not known as a conspiracy theorist. I think Oswald shot Kennedy on his own, I'm fairly sure the government isn't covering up a UFO scandal, and I am confident that NASA put men on the moon; however, I have said that I wouldn't put it past our current administration to either allow or create a well-timed terrorist act on U.S. soil so that they would be able to declare martial law, suspend elections, and set themselves up in a state of "temporary but permanent" power.

Paranoid? Maybe. But then I read this editorial from the NYT this morning (you may have to register). If you can't get to it, or don't want to register, here are some highlights:

A disturbing recent phenomenon in Washington is that laws that strike to the heart of American democracy have been passed in the dead of night. So it was with a provision quietly tucked into the enormous defense budget bill at the Bush administration’s behest that makes it easier for a president to override local control of law enforcement and declare martial law.

Beyond cases of actual insurrection, the president may now use military troops as a domestic police force in response to a natural disaster, a disease outbreak, terrorist attack or to any “other condition.”

I believe that we are on the verge of something. We are either on the verge of losing our country as we know it in the name of security, or we are on the verge of reclaiming our country in the name of freedom. I understand the concept of party loyalty, but when does party loyalty become detrimental to the people of this country? Blind loyalty only means that you can be led off a cliff more easily.

6 comments:

Anonymous | 2:49 PM, February 19, 2007  

Have you seen V for Vendetta?

I'm also inclined to read such things with a bit of skepticism. After all, did you see that in another paper called the Times it was reported that the Anglican Church is on the verge of reaccepting the Pope?

Anonymous | 3:03 PM, February 19, 2007  

I also note that it is an editorial not an article. Different standards apply to both writing of said and reading.

Reverend Ref + | 4:19 PM, February 19, 2007  

Duly noted and changed from article to editorial.

And no, I haven't seed the report that said we were on the verge of reaccepting the Pope.

Anonymous | 2:01 PM, February 20, 2007  

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article1403702.ece

There was also a response from the Anglican Communion News service, but I haven't located that yet.

Ecgbert | 4:30 PM, February 20, 2007  

Liked V for Vendetta and thought that Times of London article was poorly done.

Anonymous | 12:44 PM, February 21, 2007  

The article was atrocious, yes. If I were that reporter I'd be ashamed. If I were the paper, I'd fire the reporter.

First time comments will be moderated.