Saturday, February 17, 2007

SERMON, BELL TOWER DEDICATION (Matthew 21:10-14)

I'm not sure why this gospel passage is one of the selected readings for the consecration of a church. Maybe the lectionary committee wanted to warn people about the misuse of a church building. Whatever the reason, it seems to me to put a damper on the festivities of the day. And make no mistake, today is indeed a festive day. Thank you all for being here, and thank you to Bishop Brookhart for coming down.

This isn't really a sermon so much as it is a recounting of events.

We have come together to celebrate the completion of our roof project and, in particular, to dedicate the bell tower. This whole thing started close to two years ago when I began rounding up bids for a new roof. Just over a year ago, winning bid in hand, I applied for a grant from the UTO. With help from Marybeth Champion-Garthe, the diocesan UTO coordinator, the application worked its way through the process and we were awarded the funds for a new roof.

In July of last year, Benedict Builders began the job. The original plan called for re-roofing the building as well as re-roofing the bell tower. I'd worry about paint later. The job progressed nicely and I was glad that I wasn't up there on a 2x4 wearing a safety harness. Then came word from on high, "We aren't touching that bell tower; oh, and it would probably be a good idea if you didn't ring the bell anymore."

All righty then . . . Apparently ignorance WAS bliss.

The roof was completed and we received lots of compliments from many people, some of whom are in attendance today. But we still had that old decrepit tower. I asked John Benedict what it would take for a new tower. I thought the man was going to faint. And I'm sure the only reason he agreed to bid it was because I'm his priest. But he did, and word went out that we were raising funds for a new tower.

You know, sometimes it all comes together just like you planned it. Thanks to generous donations from the Moseleys, Wolcotts, Donnelleys and the Dale family, as well as many others in our community who made smaller but no less important donations to the cause, we were able to tell John, "Build us a bell tower."

And then John went into the hosptial. And stayed there for way too long. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about my contractor dying before the job even started. More seriously, I was also worried about having to bury someone who has become a friend in my short time here. Thankfully, for me, his employees, his friends, and especially for Micki, that didn't happen and he is on his way to a full recovery.

One morning in late January, I was greeted by the sound of a crew who had come to take the old tower down. It was an exciting time as the bell came down and as I stood there watching the top of the tower swing precariously over that brand new roof. I breathed a sigh of relief when it was finally down. The rest of the tower came down in chunks as they finished phase one.

And then, a week or so later, the new tower arrived. I watched both nervously and proudly as the main structure went up, and then the bell, and then the roof, and finally the cross. A few days later all of the decorative pieces were added. A little touch-up to the paint, and we have a fully functional, and safe, bell tower. You can see pictures of all this on our website.

Words cannot even begin to express how proud I am of how all this came together. From the help with the grant to the final nail, it has been an amazing ride. We have a new roof. We have a new bell tower. Nothing was dropped or broken, and nobdy fell. Today, for the first time in seven months, our bell will once again joyfully ring out; and for me, at least, no sweeter sound will be heard.

Today is indeed a festive day. Today a joyful noise will be made. Today we rejoice. Look around, this is no den of thieves. This is a small, holy place where you can meet God in a variety of ways. This is a place where you can come and be cured, if you are willing. This is a place where, once again, you can hear a bell ring out and know that God is present among us. This is a place that is alive, and I am thankful to be a part of it.

In closing, I extend an invitation. You may or may not know about the Episcopal Church, but we are facing some tough issues at the moment. And you may have some strong thoughts about those issues. But know this: When that bell rings, something important is about to begin. When that bell rings, you are invited to join us. Regardless of upbringing or status or political bent or anything else that may divide us, when that bell rings, You Are Welcome Here.

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.