Friday, August 03, 2007

VACATION

We got out of Dodge for awhile.

Wednesday we drove to Spokaloo and stayed at some friends' place. They are out of town doing the college visitation thing for their eldest. College Visitation!!! How did that happen??? I'm really not that old, am I? Anyway, we crashed there for the night after arriving at around 10:30 p.m. local time (note: my body is one hour ahead of that).

After a relatively sleepless night (it was hot .... the house was hot .... our hosts had graciously put flannel sheets on the bed .... there was a constant banging noise that disturbed me), we packed up for the second part of our trip. We grabbed breakfast at Mickey D's (I'm not a big fan of that place normally, but there are some things they do well -- like those breakfast McGriddle things, those are yummy), and then headed up to Sacred Heart Hospital where Mrs. Ref had her annual checkup (she's not going to die today). The best part of this visit was that for the first time in recent memory, we didn't get lost. That's easy to do in the SHMC complex.

After the checkup, we hit the mall quickly and picked up some shoes for The Kid and I got a new battery for my watch. Good news here is that I can now see what time it is without having to pull out my cell phone. Bad news is that I can't remember how to, or it simply won't, reset the digital part of the watch. So all I'm seeing is the calendar date; which is also wrong.

From the mall we drove out to Wenatchee to see the in-laws and grandparents. The drive over was uneventful, and the crops are being harvested or almost ready to be harvested. Cherries are out, as well as a bevy of other stuff. Apples are coming. The corn is high. It was a nice drive.

Mrs. Ref's parents are now living with MIL's parents because they are getting to the age where they need help. MIL is going to go nuts, I think, unless she finds a part time job and escapes gets out of the house occasionally. And they are having the carport turned into a storage area. I actually helped (sort of) with that little project.

The contractor said, "Can you drill?"

"It depends."

So I was given a drill, told to stick it in the ground and drill until I got to a mark that he put on the bit. Drilling through concrete is a bit vibrationy. Then he asked me to hammer anchors into those holes. I didn't do so well with that part. Handy I am not. I keep waiting for someone to take my man-card away. The only reason I have tools is because every man is supposed to have tools.

Anyway . . . so here we are in Wenatchee and I am borrowing the MIL's computer. We'll be here for a couple of days, then back to Spokane to do some school shopping for The Kid and to pick up one of her friends to bring back with us for a week.

So . . . vacation. I'm not doing anything. Woo Hoo.

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.