Saturday, February 02, 2008

Junk mail?

I opened my e-mail this afternoon and had this message in there:


where you able to find any info out from our Lab T.A.?

Also on page 44 (problem 3.1) at the bottom it states that the Vc = a3 = (2R√2)3 = 16R3√2, I am not sure if I am looking at this wrong but doesn’t the 23=8 not 16?

If you have time could you take a look at that?

Thanks!

Have a good weekend!

I'm not sure if that's junk mail or maybe the guy just got the wrong e-mail address and sent it to me by mistake. One thing he did get right is that 2 cubed does, in fact, equal 8.

2 comments:

Jane Ellen+ | 6:09 PM, February 02, 2008  

2 cubed does equal 8; but he is looking at it wrong, because the equation doesn't stop there. One has to cube the entire contents of the parentheses. Cubing √2 will give another multiplier of two, which ends up making the 16. If the book had not skipped a step, it would look like this:

(2R√2)cubed = 8R cubed 2√2 = 16R cubed √2.

(The comment box won't let me superscript the "cubed" part.)

Here endeth the math geek moment.

Reverend Ref + | 10:52 PM, February 02, 2008  

Um . . . yes, exactly. Which made me think it was junk e-mail because anybody could see that.

:)

First time comments will be moderated.