Saturday, March 07, 2009

Wild Days in Montana

I don't know how much you follow national news, but we've had quite the week out here in Montana.


Early Thursday morning, downtown Bozeman was rocked by a explosion that leveled most of a city block. The good news is that there were apparently no victims; however, one person remains unaccounted for.

Here are a couple of photos:





You can go here for more photos.

Then, early Friday morning, Whitehall was hit with a 4.2 earthquake.

Then, later Friday morning, Whitehall had their own issues when much of downtown burned.

And, finally, last night at about 11:45 (you know, the time when you've actually, really fallen asleep), we were toned out for a house full of smoke. So I spent about an hour playing firefighter, climbing up on the roof to have a look down the chimney and sweep it out and such things. Turned out that her stove wasn't sealing properly.

The homeowner said, "After the last couple of days, I thought I should call you sooner rather than later; we don't need Sheridan on the front page of the national news."

"Things come in three's." Maybe our little smokey house was the last of Montana excitement for awhile.

4 comments:

Jane Ellen+ | 3:49 PM, March 07, 2009  

Unfortunately, not quite. There was also a fire in downtown Joliet last night.

Anonymous | 3:08 AM, March 08, 2009  

There was one victim but they have not released the name and full details yet since the body has not be recovered. It's almost definite though. they do have most of main open by now and everyone on my block is back home.

Rev Dave | 10:10 AM, March 11, 2009  

After a while, I lost count of the freezing nights I spent on somebody's roof dropping chains, etc. down the chimney. Not my favorite part of the job.

Of course, my family's (I was living with my folks after college) least favorite part was hearing the tones go off in the middle of the night, followed by bad language from me as I got out of my warm bed. The cats, however, learned to clear a path to the door as I headed out. My dad is still on that department and the cat heads under the bed when the pager goes off.

Reverend Ref + | 2:07 PM, March 11, 2009  

Dave:

Luckily I'm on a rather quiet department. The good news with that is that we don't have a lot of fires and other disasters that people need to deal with; the bad news with that is that every time the pager goes off, we all have to work to remember what it is we're actually supposed to do.

And, yeah . . . cats . . . they pretty much get out of the way.

First time comments will be moderated.