Thursday, August 27, 2009

Changing hats

Four years ago (or thereabouts), I ran into the then chief of the Sheridan VFD at one of the local bars and asked him if he would be willing to consider having a department chaplain. He thought that might be a good idea and said, "In fact, why don't you come by and we'll give you some gear and you can just be on the department."

So for the past four years, I have worn one of these:



Over the years there have been some changes in the department. Most of the old timers have retired, we got ourselves a new chief, and things in general are changing.

Last month the chief decided I now needed to be wearing one of these:



Some of you will know what this means.

For the rest of you . . . I guess I'm now Capt. Ref.

Hmmmmm

And since I'm the dean of my deanery, technically I would be the Very Rev. Capt. Ref.

Nahhhhhh . . . besides being a bit pretentious, it wouldn't fit on a business card.

1 comments:

Mark J. | 8:30 AM, August 28, 2009  

From one Rev Capt to another, congrats. ;-)

First time comments will be moderated.