Sunday, August 29, 2010

Let's see . . .

I spent last week in Seattle. Monday - Wednesday morning was at a Gathering of Leaders conference based around the theme of "Entrepreneurial Leadership in the Missionary Church." There were, oh, maybe 40 clergy there as well as 6 bishops. It was all casual and very informative. Took lots of notes. The best part of it was that it came at the exact right time for me, as I can take what I learned there into and through my ongoing search process.

One quote I'll remember was from a presenter who has a church in Rhode Island. The back story is that they hid their problems very well during their search process and he didn't really discover how bad things were until he got there. But his attitude has been great, and he made the best comment at the conference: "We had lots of room for up."

After the conference, my good friend Jane and I spent the rest of the week with my parents in the Seattle area. She took a new call in southeast Washington, so I figured it was my obligation to give her a little taste of Washington site seeing. We had a great couple of days and flew home Friday.

Saturday morning I had a phone interview with Not West Parish. It went relatively well. Nobody hung up on me. But then again, it didn't make me want to move east either. So we'll see how that pans out.

Then I spent the rest of the morning and afternoon watching volleyball. The Kid's team hosted a preseason tournament, and those are always fun to watch.

And, of course, later in the day it was off to VC for church service. This was our last Saturday evening service before moving back to Sundays next week. My altar guild person had not shown up by 6:45, and at 6:50 I was still the only one in the building. So I decided that, if anyone did show up, we'd do evening prayer. Two other people did eventually come, and we had a nice, quiet service.

And this morning I am off to Western Parish to preside at Eucharist and meet with the vestry and search committee.

And life keeps moving along.

5 comments:

Katharine | 12:57 PM, August 31, 2010  

Oh, so there must be at least two churches in the universe who found an effective way to hide their dirty laundry during the search process? Sounds like a very useful conference.

I stumbled in here after seeing your comment on another blog. Think I'll keep reading, since you left the door open!

Reverend Ref + | 6:15 PM, August 31, 2010  

Katharine,

Thanks for stopping by, come back anytime. The weather last week, as you know, was fabulous. All the people from Mississippi and Texas were making comments about staying.

Mark | 6:34 PM, August 31, 2010  

What in the hell;) is "Far West Parish?"

Do you agree that Alabama has to win the national football championship? Isn't that prophesized in Revelation?

Katharine | 6:55 PM, August 31, 2010  

Hmpf. Those folks should be in Seattle today! It's cold and rainy, but FOOTBALL is coming so everything's going to be okay.

Reverend Ref + | 11:07 PM, August 31, 2010  

Mark: "Far West Parish" is just that -- a parish in the far west. I'm not at liberty to name names just yet, but hopefully soon.

And, being a Western boy, I'm really hoping that Boise State manages to pull off the miracle of the millennium and win the national championship.

Katharine: Yep, cold and rainy here as well. But football is right around the corner. My first game is Friday night and I'm looking forward to getting back on the field.

First time comments will be moderated.