Thursday, December 02, 2010

Home

Well, we're here. We arrived safely on Monday evening, spent the night in a hotel, then met the moving van Tuesday morning. The crew dropped off my stuff for the office, then they went to the house to drop off everything else.

In short, we have a lot of . . . stuff. Oy vey.

Yesterday and today were spent unpacking boxes and trying to figure out where things belonged.

And today I got to meet two of GP's finest. I went in early to the office to continue unpacking, hoping to get most everything put away today while the girls slept. I got into the office right around 7.

About 7:30 or so (I'm guessing, because I'm still missing my watch and don't have a clock in the office yet), somebody was banging on my office window. Turned out to be an officer from the GPPD.

"We got a call for an alarm here . . . who are you?"

Um . . . yeah . . . I'm the new priest.

APPARENTLY the church is alarmed at every door and nobody let me know about it. I was feeling a little like I was in "Alice's Restaurant" . . . "Kid, we're gonna hafta arrest ya' for trespassing." But I got it straightened out with the two officers and let the alarm company know that someone would be along to fix it at 9 a.m.

When my secretary came into the office I said, "Good morning. When you get settled, I need you to call the alarm company."

"Oh? How come?"

"Because I was visited by the GPPD this morning for breaking and entering. But when they saw that I was putting stuff away instead of carrying stuff off, they let me stay."

So, after much apologizing, she showed me the Super Secret Alarm Code so that I won't have that problem again.

And now we're getting our new cell phones and will notify the necessary people of our new numbers. And here shortly, we'll head back to the house and continue unpacking.

Have I mentioned that we're home? We're home; and it's a beautiful thing.

5 comments:

Unknown | 5:35 PM, December 02, 2010  

Oh, dear. There are always things people assume we will know, just because everyone knows them. May the next one of those not involve the police!

Anonymous | 8:59 PM, December 02, 2010  

As someone who has been lurking around your site for some time, I want to welcome you to Oregon.
Anna Hawley

Lady Anne | 10:18 AM, December 03, 2010  

Oh, yes! Never let the new priest know the alarm code. Our parish alarm is not the silent type, and the new rector stood on the parking lot listening to it roar until my huband (the Property Warden) was notified by ADT and went to rescue her. Um, welcome home, ma'am.

Carson T Clark | 12:42 PM, December 07, 2010  

Hello and good morning. Just came across your blog. Really enjoyed the read. I look forward to future posts.

Hope you don't mind, but I wanted to tell you about my own blog. I'm an aspiring clergy-writer who's new to the Anglican tradition, and am trying to find Anglican readers. The title of my blog is "Musings of a Hard-Lining Moderate: The assorted thoughts of an evangelical Anglican."

I write about theology, culture, politics, movie/book reviews, pet theories... anything that’s on my mind. Right now I'm doing a series on the doctrine of Scripture, which was prompted by the crisis in the global communion. I also recently wrote a post on the value of the christian calendar.

Anyway, I don't know if you'd be interested, but here's the link: http://bit.ly/dXh2qd. Have a great day.

Grace & Peace,

Carson

Reverend Ref + | 5:50 PM, December 09, 2010  

Songbird: Thanks. Most definitely not called to Prison Ministry just yet.

Anna: Thank you. Stop by the church sometime if you're in the area.

Lady Anne: At least ours is silent -- I managed to get some work done while the police were responding.

Carson: Thanks for dropping by. When I get more settled I'll have time to peruse and write more.

First time comments will be moderated.