Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Things I miss

One of the things I did while in Montana was to hold a service at the local nursing home once a month. I got to know a few of the residents rather well and enjoyed spending part of my Sunday with them.

After a couple of years of doing this, one of the residents, Pat, told me that she wanted me to do her funeral. And probably during every visit she would remind me, "Now remember, I want you to do my funeral . . . but let's not rush it."

I got a phone call today from my former deacon. She was gathering funeral information because Pat reminded everyone that I was supposed to do the funeral and, as it turns out, it's looking like she's going to die in the near future.

One of the things I miss most is not being there for people I grew very attached to. So, Pat, this is for you:

Into your hand, O merciful Savior, we commend your servant Pat. Acknowledge, we humbly beseech you, a sheep of your own fold, a lamb of your own flock, a sinner of your own redeeming. Receive her into the arms of your mercy, into the blessed rest of everlasting peace, and into the glorious company of the saints in light.

Rest eternal grant to her, O Lord; and let light perpetual shine upon her. Amen.

2 comments:

Lady Anne | 2:34 PM, January 25, 2012  

It never gets any easier, does it? Saying goodby to an old friend is bad enough, but not being there to hold a hand, soothe a fevered brow, give Communion, is much worse. We'll pray for you, too.

Reverend Ref + | 6:40 PM, January 25, 2012  

Thank you.

First time comments will be moderated.