Saturday, March 22, 2014

A Hard Night

We left our house in Prague at 4:15 a.m. on Friday morning, which would be 8:15 p.m. Thursday PDT, to head to the airport.  We got our boarding passes, took a final picture with Monika, and made our way to our first flight.

We got through the Amsterdam checkpoint without a problem, but had other issues when we had to go through their security gate (yes, in Amsterdam they make you go through security again because it's a major point of entry to Europe).  Mrs. Ref travels with apple sauce containers that look like those squirtable food tube used by astronauts because it's been classified as "baby food."

We've been through U.S. security, Amsterdam security (the first time) and Czech security without a problem.  But this time through Amsterdam, the very unfriendly and overly serious security officer insisted that she could only take the applesauce if she actually had a baby.

I could gripe a whole lot about the security in airports, but all I'll say here is that it would sure be nice if the rules were consistent and consistently enforced.

The flight home was uneventful and the food was better than the trip to Europe, and we landed pretty much on time at 11:45 a.m. PDT, which would be 7:45 p.m. Czech time.  The only hitch was that the cargo bay door on the plane froze shut and it took awhile to get our luggage.

I tried to get my body reset to Pacific time by setting my watch forward on the plane, and getting some sleep on the trip.  We went to bed around 9:30 or 10 p.m.

At midnight, I woke up because it felt like 8 a.m. -- time for breakfast.
At 2 a.m., I woke up because it felt like it was time to leave the house and visit downtown Prague.
At 4 a.m., I woke up because it felt like it was noon and time for lunch.
At 6 a.m., I woke up because it simply felt like I should be up.

It was a very hard night, but I'm thinking that I'm now adjusted.  Speaking of which, it's time for breakfast.


First time comments will be moderated.