Tuesday, March 18, 2014

What am I saying?

We've been in Prague for about a week now.  Part of that time was spent in Dresden, Germany.

While here, I've been picking up a little bit on the language.  Such as (and this will all be spelled wrong because a) I can't spell in Czech; and b) Czech is a language in need of vowels):

Do-qui = thank you
Dobra Dan = good day
Yahodi = strawberry
Pomahrahnj = orange (the kind you eat)
oranjava = orange (the color)
Proseem = please
Haski Dan = have a nice day
Ananeece = pineapple
Babuchka = grandma
Audabuchda = turn
  These last two sound almost identical when heard on a Garmin.  So the joke around here has to do with me and those words.
Most = bridge
Hora = mountain

When we were up in Dresden, some of the German words were coming back to me from my last trip there a few years ago:

Guten Tag = good day
Guten Morgan = good morning
Bitte = please
Chooss = good bye
Konig = king

We left Dresden yesterday (on a really nice bus that puts some airplanes to shame) and arrived back in Prague and the house around 10:30.  I went to bed at 11 and was looking forward to sleeping in, which I did.  In the morning, in my semi-awake and drowsy state, I said, "Guten morgan" to Monika's mom.  And then I realized what I had said, and said, "Oops ... Dobra Dan."

Yep, that's me .... your typical trilingual world traveler.

1 comments:

Ecgbert | 9:17 PM, April 19, 2014  

Czech is Russian's cousin so I can read some of it. I've heard it's the most difficult Slavic language. Sounds that are so hard that some Czechs can't say them right.

First time comments will be moderated.