Tuesday, February 17, 2004

FOR THE MOMENT, A STEADY GIG

I was originally going to title this Real Live Preacher Dude, but there's another (and original RLP) out there and I didn't want to take his title.

Anyway, I'm in the midst of a steady diet of preaching. This past Sunday it was Galena (see below) and I dealt with Luke's version of the Beatitudes. Even though it didn't feel quite right on Saturday night, it preached well Sunday morning. And the bit where I moved from the pulpit to sitting on the floor of the main aisle worked well.

This Sunday I'm preaching at St. A's. It's Last Epiphany, so I'm preaching on the Transfiguration. This is one of those that, after a few years, you wonder how to keep fresh. Honestly, how many times can you tell people you can't stay on the mountain top? But this one will not be your average Transfiguration Sunday sermon. First, I'm preaching it. Can you ever know what's coming when I have a history of sitting on altars, floors and using baseball bats?

Second, St. A's is in the middle of a Spiritual and Strategic Planning Process. If there was ever a time to deliver a "get your fanny out of the pews" sermon, this is it. So, if you're in the neighborhood of St. A's on Sunday, 2/22, drop in. I'd love to see you.

And then on Friday of next week, I'm preaching at the 7 am Eucharist. The saint du jour is George Herbert. I'm thinking about how I can incorporate "My Sweet Lord" into the sermon, but I haven't got that one figured out just yet.

And finally, the final installment of the Gonzaga portion of "The Season" airs tonight on ESPN2 at 10:30 CST. Check it out -- GU clinched the WCC title over the weekend.

Peace

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.