Tuesday, November 16, 2004

HALLELUJAH CHORUS

Sunday was a busy day at the office for this Montana vicar. Did the usual services at CC & VC, and then jetted out of VC early. Mrs. Ref and I drove up to Helena for the seating of the bishop and the rededication of the cathedral. The Kid didn't want to go; she said, "I've already seen one of those services." Which is true. Before we left Spokane, she and I were at the seating of Spokane's new bishop. That was about four years ago, so I'm almost surprised that she remembered being there. So Mrs. Ref and I went to Helena, and we left The Kid at home with a whole list of chores to accomplish before we returned.

It's a two hour drive to Helena. Sometime last week, one of my parishioners informed me that another parishioner was in the hospital in Helena and asked if I would be able to stop in and see her. Of course I said I would. We left VC early, drove to Helena and managed to find the VA hospital where she had been admitted. Why is it that VA hospitals always seem to be way way out of town in some obscure location?

Anyway, I was told she was in Room 412. Turns out that Room 412 is the staff utility toilet. I went up to the nurses station and asked where B was staying. The nurse asked if I was an Episcopalian. I said yes. So she said that she had another patient that she wanted me to see. I managed to get in two bedside visits in about 25 minutes. Then it was off to the service.

The fact that we made it to the cathedral without getting lost was a major miracle. But we did make it, even had time to eat a sandwich in the car before going in. The service was grand. One of those things that makes you enjoy being an Episcopalian. Good music, good liturgy, and lots and lots of smiles. The bishop knocked at the main doors of the cathedral and the dean let him in. (In talking about the service at home, The Kid asked, "Do you have to let him in?" Hmmm. Since we elected him, I think it would be a good idea.)

The bishop was seated in the cathedra, and he presented the rector of St. Peter's, now the Dean of the Cathedral, with a dean's cross. The bishop gave a good sermon, referenced Annie Dillard's quote about crash helmets and seatbelts, one of my personal favorites; and he reiterated that things are different and we are working at becoming healthy and restoring relationships again.

Finally, I chatted with several people at the reception about my own ordination service there on December 18. I also met several people who said, "Oh, you're the new guy in Sheridan and VC. I've heard LOTS about you." I guess that's good, because everybody said that they were happy to see things happening down there.

The only bummer to the whole event was the reception. Service started at 4, the reception was from 5:30 to however long people stayed, and most of us travelled from a 2 hour radius. The only thing served was brownies and other sugary treats. I was counting on maybe some sandwich-type stuff to get me home. Oh well. Did I mention that the service was GRAND?

Got home about 8:30. The Kid actually managed to get through the chore list we gave her (she's a good kid). And then went to bed. It was a long day at the office, but a good time was had by all.

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.