Saturday, November 20, 2004

RIVALRY WEEKEND

Here we are -- what most college fans look forward to every year. This is the weekend of the Iron Bowl, The Old Oaken Bucket, Ohio/Michigan (does this one have a name?), Montana/Montana State (another one with an unknown cool name) The Civil War, The Game, and The Apple Cup.

Most disappointing game this year: The Apple Cup. The Huskies are pathetic this year. It's like the whole team contracted kennel cough and worms. But before you think I'm letting my Cougar Pride show, the 'Cougs aren't much better. I never thought I'd see the day when BOTH teams were Pac-10 bottom feeders. But hey, it's still the Apple Cup, and it's even being televised on ABC on the West Coast. Unfortunately, I'm not on the West Coast. Or, maybe, fortunately. The Seattle P-I has dubbed this game the Rotten Apple Cup. Apparently nobody is getting excited about this game.

However, I will probably get to see the UM-MSU game because local stations always carry the Griz and the Cats. UM is looking to get into the Div. I-AA playoffs with a win. The Bobcats, however, blew their chances at a playoff bid with two straight losses. Yes, Div. I-AA has a playoff (hear that BCS??).

Best game of the day? Could be Michigan-Ohio, but with Michigan at 9-1, and Ohio at 6-4, I think Michigan will roll over the Buckeyes. But then again, this is a rivalry. And as I'm fond of pointing out, in 1982 something funny happened on the way to the Rose Bowl. Michigan needs to be careful. However, I think the best game of the day will be The Civil War, Oregon-Oregon State. Both teams are 5-5. Both teams have a bowl bid riding on this game. This is THE game in the PNW this year. It's only too bad that they both aren't 6-4 and both assured of a bowl game. It's gotta break your heart.

So, enjoy whatever game you are going to watch. Scream your lungs out. Have fun. Just be sure to stay in the stands.

And then, tomorrow, go to church and cheer for Christ the King.

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.