Friday, November 19, 2004

THANKS

Thanks to those of you who commented on my last post. Like Jane said, "It's not just a new job, it's a new life." So true. I just need to settle down, relax, and enjoy the ride. I'll keep doing what I'm doing -- trying to get people involved, preaching passable sermons, and staying visible. Maybe adding in a little small-town eccentricities might also help. Too bad I don't have my security boots anymore.

IN OTHER NEWS

Wednesday and Thursday, and to some extent today, were very productive days at both CC & VC. On Wednesday, I dug two postholes for our new sign. I don't recall a class on manual labor at SWTS; although, when the president of the alumni association gave all the seniors toilet plungers that came close. CC authorized the purchase of a new sign. This thing is double sided, 4' x 6'. It's got the church's name, my name, the Episcopal shield, office hours, phone number, service time, and a "You Are Welcome Here." It's white with black lettering.

Yesterday I apparently had "Too Much Time On My Hands" while at VC. I finished my sermon early, then I did some redecorating. We have this huge brass eagle lectern; I'd guess it's about 5' tall. It got moved up towards the sanctuary and out of the way some time ago. The right-front pew (maybe I should say the front gospel side pew) was taken out and stuck in the sacristy. And a very Protestant looking lectern was placed over an electrical outlet where the pew used to be.

Sometime ago I found a "thing" that was made to sit on the steps and support either the eagle or an Advent wreath. I put the thing on the steps, and very carefully moved the giant eagle from where it was to the choir steps. It wasn't too bad, actually, and dropping it down one stair went better than expected. It didn't even almost fall over. Then I moved the Protestant Pulpit into the sacristy. Now that was heavy! Finally I moved the pew out of the sacristy and back to its rightful place in the church.

I decided that that was enough manual labor for one day, so I wrote an article for the weekly paper about Advent activities at both places.

And today, my Senior Warden at CC and I had the sign delivered and we dropped it in the holes I dug. They were really nice holes. We got it level and plumb and, hopefully, packed in tight enough for it to last a long time. It runs perpendicular to Main street, and you can see it from the other side of town (granted, town isn't that big, but still). And you can actually read the information as you drive by. Which is a bonus because the only signage we had before was the traditional "Episcopal Church Welcomes You" with the church name misspelled, and a sign by the front door with the service time in those small black & gold mailbox number things. So very inviting. But the new sign is cool, and should be the talk of the town in about 20 minutes.

That's about it for today. I think I'll go roam about the blogiverse now.

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.