Friday, May 27, 2005

SWAMPED

The play is over, so you'd think my life would settle down. HA.

Tuesday and Wednesday I was one of two male chaperones for the 5th & 6th grade class trip to the Birch Creek Educational Center. This is an old CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) center that was used in the 30's and 40's. It's up in the mountains (but as Mrs. Ref says, "What isn't in the mountains in SW Montana??"), so the weather can change in an instant. We had everything from sunny blue skies and 65 degrees, to some snow and overnight lows of about 20.

The first day there, the chaperones weren't immediately needed, so the other male chaperone, Chuck, and I went mountain climbing. Not "mountain climbing" like ice axes, spikes, ropes and such, more like a day hike up Thunderhead Mountain. We climbed up over rocks as big as houses in an attempt to get to the top. But you know what? The peak is deceptively far away, so we called it quits after about 2 hours. We'd crest one hill, and that damn mountain keep backing up. Oh well.

We survived the night with a bunch of rowdy boys, and got through the next day. Made it home by 3:30, showered, unpacked and took a nap. Then I went to bed early.

On Thursday, we had a deanery meeting in Dillon. So Thursday was toast.

Today I did some work around the house, chatted with a friend about desserts (we agreed that anything with strawberries can't be bad), then went with Mrs. Ref to Bozeman for some needed household necesseties and other things that the housesitter might need while we are gone. Like Guinnea pig food.

Stopped at Subway on the way home, got in around 8, had dinner, and put stuff away. Tomorrow I need to work on the checkbook, paying bills before we leave town, dishes and laundry. And that's before I go to VC for a funeral and the Opening Day Parade.

Sunday is Sunday, with more prep-to-leave stuff to do after the two services. Then we'll pack the car and hit the road at 6 on Monday for destinations east.

Oh, that reminds me .... sermon? What sermon. I've got the first paragraph finished. This may be a totally off-the cuff thing. The one thing I have going for me is that I have thought about it a great deal, so even if I have to wing it, it should be presentable. But that will also mean that it may take me awhile to post it on this blog.

So, with all that in mind, it's time for bed so I can get an early start tomorrow.

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.