Friday, June 03, 2005

"Way down there in Chicago . . . "

We made it to Chicago; well, Evanston and Wilmette to be exact. I had told the non-morning members of my household that we were leaving at 6 am Monday morning. We left at 6:15. I'm very proud of them for the effort.

From Sheridan we drove to Mitchell, SD. With rest stops and lunch and dinner stops, we rolled into Mitchell just after 10 pm local time. For the math impaired, that's about 15 hours on the road. We managed to leave Mitchell about 7:30 local time, and got to our destination just before 7 pm. It's a two day trip made easier with two drivers; but, honestly, I recommend taking three days to enjoy it.

So far, we have managed to hook up with almost all of our old friends from the seminary days. The only people we haven't seen are many of those in my graduating class who are either a) not coming back for graduation, or b) actually have jobs and will be at the ceremony today.

Yesterday, Mrs. Ref and Mark went into downtown Chicago and had a great time from the sounds of it. I hung out at SWTS and caught up with some old professors (or maybe I should say "former" professors), then hung out at St. Luke's while the seniors rehearsed the service. After that, Rev. Jane and I went to dinner at Dave's Italian Kitchen (a place she had never been to in her time here, so this was a must). After that, we did dessert that involved chocolate and then headed back to SWTS for some conversation with old friends and new friends.

It was a good night.

Today is the commencement. I smell breakfast as I'm typing this, so I'm about to close out. We'll head down to commencement in about an hour, pick up the aforementioned Mark, do the service and see friends end this phase of their adventure to the priesthood. The reception will follow, and that will be a good time, I'm sure. Hopefully it won't rain on us.

Saturday I'm on my own, which means a laundry day. Sunday is back at our old parish of St. A's to see people there, then dinner with another SWTS alum. Monday and Tuesday will be spent in Indiana with Rev. Jane and her family. Wednesday back up in Chicago for the final night. Thursday we leave bookoo early again, with The Kid and A Friend in tow for home. We should hit home Friday evening.

Then it's time to recoup and get back into the swing of things. It's been an amazing trip so far, and I hope it continues to be so.

Peace.

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.