Tuesday, August 09, 2005

WOW

That's about all I can say after the visit by Jane, Bruce and the kids. It was one of those long weekends when time seemed to stand still, or at least slow down considerably.

I was pleasantly surprised by Jane on Thursday evening when she showed up for Eucharist in VC. She arrived just as I was about ready to head out for dinner, so we wandered down to Bob's Place, a great little restaurant featuring "Ice Cream - Pizza - Sandwiches" (yes, in that order). From there we went over to the Pioneer Bar and chatted with some local characters before heading back up to the church for service.

The original plan for Friday was to drive over to Big Hole, but we got a late start and modified that to only go to Bannack. Bannack is an old ghost town, the original Montana capital, and home base to Sheriff Henry Plummer and his Road Agents. Plummer was eventually hanged from his own gallows, and the Road Agents were hanged in Virginia City.

Saturday included an ice cream social for the benefit of a man who fell off some scaffolding and broke his pelvis in three place. Money raised will go to help him and his family while he recuperates. After dessert, we went home and bbq'd a great chicken dinner (during which I burned my index finger and thumb, but they've healed). Then it was off to VC to catch "Sweeney Todd" at the opera house. It was well done (as were the other two), and the vaudeville performance was hysterical. Not to mention the fact that we put Jane and Bruce on the end so that they might receive some "special" attention.

Sunday was two church services, as is my custom (ha!). Jane preached a heck of a sermon and all of my parishioners were duly impressed. One of them even told her of a possible opening out here and suggested she put her name in the hat. That comment, btw, was totally unsolicited on my part. The rest of the afternoon was spent wandering around VC, sticking our noses into shops, taking the fire engine tour, buying stuff we didn't need, and generally playing tourist. It's nice to do that every once in awhile.

Monday was a "down" day. Nothing planned so that our guests could recuperate and get ready for their drive home. Bruce continued to work on repairing our computer -- Thanks Bruce!!! Mrs. Ref and CJ watched soaps, and Jane and I explored the RC church in Laurin, the Taylor Cemetery, and a road that went really far up into the mountains for a great view and just a little nervousness from Jane while I turned the car around on a dead end.

I would be neglectful to mention that Jane's youngest and my only spent more time in a swimming pool than I thought humanly possible.

It was fun to have another morning person in the house who not only enjoys morning walks but collecting rocks.

I could probably go on, but I won't. I will close with these two thoughts:
1) I had a ball, from morning walks to mountain rocks, bbq's and ice cream socials, and even the lack of naps;
2) And for all of the dishes generated, food consumed, schedule rearranging and cramped quarters, I'm glad you came. Let's do it again sometime.

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.