Wednesday, February 28, 2007

HOPE?

Ash Wednesday had 17 people at service and eight for the bible study afterwards, with two visitors joining us.

I was hopeful that this actually might be a turning point of sorts for this parish. Apparently not.

We had three people for service tonight; not that I was expecting anywhere near the 17 from A.W., so that didn't concern me. Those three stayed for the study afterwards and we were joined by one more who couldn't make the service.

The woman who had expressed an interest in returning to TEC (and wants her new baby baptized), didn't show up for Sunday service, nor was she or or husband there for the study group.

This seems to be the Catch 22 . . . we are small enough to offer the intimacy of a family parish, and we are so small that programs have yet to be developed; we are small enough that we notice when a newcomer walks in the door, and we are so small that we don't have the programs to draw people to stay.

I feel a little like Peter: "How many times should I hope? Seven times?"

And the answer is always, "Not seven times, but seventy-seven times."

6 comments:

The Lovely Wife | 12:59 PM, March 01, 2007  

3 people at church is better than 0. In the defense of others there was a lot going on in town. The school had a carnival which is a big deal. Dont get down.

Padre Mickey | 1:20 PM, March 02, 2007  

I agree with the Lovely Wife, three is better than zero.
When I was the Priest In Charge Of Family Ministries at St. Philip's in San José, CA, several years ago, I had a children's Eucharist. One Sunday no one showed up. I sat there, in my alb and stole, waiting, and not one person showed up. Three would have been great! It was Labor Day weekend and I guess all the families wanted to get that last Summer weekend in.

Here in Panamá at the Spanish-language service, we may start with five people and have fifty by the Offertory; ya just never know....

Have you tried promising pie and punch? :-)

Reverend Ref + | 1:40 PM, March 02, 2007  

Pie and punch . . . what, free wine isn't enough?? ;-)

drpcp | 1:59 PM, March 02, 2007  

Hmmmmm ... pie and punch? during Lent? ;) I don't know how you are doing your Lenten services, but at a small parish I used to attend we had a light soup and bread together ... then Eucharist ... then study ... so we broke bread together twice. Just an idea.

Anonymous | 5:08 PM, March 04, 2007  

I like the soup idea for Lent. Though, I would like pie. I did not give up pie for Lent.

Who is fool enough to give up pie for Lent?!!?

;-)

Sonje | 8:09 PM, March 10, 2007  

One of the loveliest feelings though is to come into a church service where you are the only non-worship staff person and realize that the worship at the table was going to happen anyhow. I know that it can be disappointing to look out into the audience and realize that there are few to no parishioners out there, but God is always listening, so for me it is worth it.

One thing that always gets people in is to have a joint forum on something that is relevant for your town. Host it at your building and have other preachers/community leaders participate in the discussion.

First time comments will be moderated.