Friday, April 25, 2008

On the road again . . . .

It seems like I have been gone more than I have been home this month.

Two weeks ago we were off to clergy conference up in Polson. That's just about four hours from here (if there isn't any traffic or road construction).

Last week I was in Salt Lake City for a preaching conference (which was really very good). SLC is right about 6 hours from here.

And today I am off to Glasgow . . . Montana, not Scotland. According to Google maps, that's just over 8 hours. Eight hours of driving, and I don't even cross a state line. For those of you reading this who may be from a location east of here, spend some time pondering that one.

Anyway, I'm off to meet with St. Matthew's and get them thinking about mission and growth and direction. I'm always nervous when I do these things and always wonder if the effort is worth my time. Hopefully the People on the Plains will find it beneficial.

Have a good weekend.

2 comments:

Unknown | 1:40 PM, April 25, 2008  

You and Joelene came to the Pintler Cluster about two years ago. At the end of the conversation it was decided that the congregations had a desire to focus on youth activities. At the time we had about 8 kids showing up a week. Today we have between 50 and 70 youth - many of them "high risk" - coming through our doors each week and we also received a grant for hiring a Youth Pastor. You say that you "always wonder if the effort is worth my time" and my answer to that question is "YES!! ABSOLUTELY!!" My only concern is that you now have me nervous about what the Lord is doing and what is to come. Keep the faith!

Anonymous | 5:44 PM, April 25, 2008  

Well, I (a Montanan-in-exile) understand the driving 8 hours and not leaving the state. Some time back on an EO forum where someone posted about people not bothering to learn about Orthodox Christianity and that they should just go to services. I replied with explaining how the state of Montana, if placed along the Eastern Seaboard (along the long axis) would roughly stretch from above Boston, Massachusetts to the Virginia/North Carolina border and from the shore to Ohio/New York-Great Lakes/the Appalachians. Then I translated the EO parishes in Montana into distances in that area. If I recall correctly it worked out to something like Albany, Pittsburgh, Richmond, Washington, DC, Harrisburg, PA and Philadelphia and explained that most roads in Montana are not 4-6 lane highways and other details like Fort Peck Reservoir (no bridges, you go around). 8-)

First time comments will be moderated.