Monday, April 28, 2008

Some days . . .

. . . it just takes awhile to get going; or at least get to the office.

I was doing my usual surfing this morning before I had to get ready for work and about 8:30 or so the fire alarm went off. We were paged out to a reported chimney fire north of town. I geared up, got to the station and responded to the call. The good news is that we were able to find the house (this is sometimes a trick on this particular road). The better news is that that fire burned itself out before we got there.

I was sent up on the roof to inspect the chimney and make sure the fire hadn't spread into the roof. So we propped up a ladder and up I went. Another guy came up with me, and he brought the chimney sweep. We pulled the rain cover off and I grabbed my flashlight and peered down inside. It was pretty much all clear. He swept the rest of the buildup out of the chimney and we verified that the fire wasn't spreading.

The bad news was that I grabbed my flashlight and peered down inside. Yeah . . . it was hot enough to melt the plastic lens on my flashlight. My light now has this really nifty cool bubble thing on it.

Like this:


Bubble Light
Originally uploaded by reverendref












So I went to the Maglite website and discovered that I can buy a new lens for $1 . . . plus $12 shipping and handling. I think I'll buy ten.

After that I had an impromptu meeting with a resident about city business; being on the city council results in that stuff occasionally. Then I did some computer work. Then I ate lunch.

I got to the office about 1.

But I was a little busy before that, honest!

2 comments:

The Lovely Wife | 11:15 PM, April 28, 2008  

Couldn't they find a safer place for you than on the roof of a building that had been burning? Like as chaplain working with the residents of the home?

Reverend Ref + | 9:14 AM, April 29, 2008  

A) The roof wasn't that steep, so it was relatively safe.

B) The building hadn't been burning, just the chimney (luckily it hadn't spread to the roof).

C) No chaplain work necessary for homeowners who are safe and out of a building that is safe.

D) It was fun!

First time comments will be moderated.