Monday, July 28, 2008

A bird? A plane?

So we got the kids dropped off at summer camp Sunday. We got up there about 6:30, just in time to grab some dinner -- ribs and salad and potatoes and soup and bread. They feed you well at camp.

And then we did some last minute paperwork, had a bowl of ice cream, and headed home.

We didn't leave camp until 7:45, which meant that we weren't going to be home until about 11:45.

As we were almost home, maybe 15 miles, when what to my wondering eyes should appear .... but a great big fireball streaking up there.

Seriously ... this thing was HUGE ... the biggest meteor I've ever seen (if that's what it was). It had a white core and tapered back in a tear drop shape that was made up of red and blue. It didn't streak for long, maybe only as wide as my windshield, and then it was gone.

Had it not been so late, or had I not just come back from a round trip journey to camp, and had I had my flashlight, I might have actually gone looking for it.

Mrs. Ref claims it was an "Aylee-un." I'm not convinced.

Either way, meteor, piece of space junk, or alien, it was way cool.

6 comments:

Anonymous | 2:54 AM, July 29, 2008  

I'm going to have to ask you to remove this post, and the Mrs. Ref to cease all speculation. There are no such things as aliens and what you saw was simply a weather balloon.

Clear?

~**Dawn**~ | 10:08 AM, July 29, 2008  

The world around us is awesomely & wonderfully made, isn't it?

Reverend Ref + | 7:37 PM, July 29, 2008  

Sir, yes sir -- I only saw a weather balloon conducting low altitude flammability tests.

Yes, the world around us is awesomely & wonderfully made; and I'm glad that most of that awesomeness is small enough to not do any damage -- I've had enough of that lately.

The Lovely Wife | 11:42 PM, July 29, 2008  

The man operating the weather balloon was small in stature, green and waved as he flew by our windshield. Was a really pretty weather balloon that he had though.

Anonymous | 12:57 PM, August 01, 2008  

We'll be asking you to come in now for a talk, miss. ;-)

The Lovely Wife | 11:25 PM, August 02, 2008  

I love to travel, Will the little green man be there too?

First time comments will be moderated.