Thursday, July 17, 2008

Grand Central Station

It was a busy night here at the little vicarage in Sheridan.

At about 7 p.m., there was a knock on the door.

"Are you the pastor here?" said the Wandering Lady with a duffel bag and a copy of The Book of Mormon.

"Yes."

"Can you maybe possibly find me a room somewhere?"

So I called the Motel of Second Choice and got the lady a room. Gave her walking directions and told the owner I'd pay him tomorrow.

Then about 45 minutes later came another knock on the door.

"Hello, pastor -- remember me?"

Um ... how could I forget Toothless Man.

"Can you possibly pay for gas for me and get me a room?"

"Well, all the motels are currently filled, so I can't do that, and the gas station is closed at the moment ... but meet me here at 7 tomorrow and I'll fill up your tank."

I don't mind doing this. After all, that's why we have discretionary accounts. As for Mr. Toothless, he's been through here before. Not sure what the deal is. But my big question is this:

What was the gal with The Book of Mormon doing on the doorsteps of an Episcopal priest? I mean ... don't Mormons have their own support system?

Just wondering.

3 comments:

Thaddeus | 2:50 PM, July 18, 2008  

Maybe she was just looking into Mormonism; not a member. I'm glad you took care of her, though. Thanks for showing your true Christian colors, and giving me an example to follow.

The Lovely Wife | 4:23 PM, July 18, 2008  

The lady with the book of Mormon also asked if we had a hair brush. We gave her one. It was returned this afternoon, propped up against the door. Hope she finds another one at her next stop.

Lady Anne | 8:56 PM, November 03, 2010  

Bless her heart! I once passed along one of our daughters' dresses to a little girl in the neighborhood - very, very poor family. The dress was too long, so I pinned it up and gave the girl the thread, and asked if her mom could hem it, as I knew she wanted to wear it right away. She came back later and returned not only the thread, but the straight pins.

First time comments will be moderated.