Thursday, October 16, 2008

Where's the line?

I made rounds at the hospital yesterday. Pretty much everybody was asleep, all but one guy. He's in the hospital with a severe case of M.S. and basically can't move anything below his shoulders. It's a nasty disease.

I stop in and visit with him whenever I pass through.

Yesterday we were talking and he told me about an experience he had recently in which he was absolutely convinced that Jesus visited him and told him he would walk again.

Do I believe him? Yes.
Do I believe Jesus could heal him of his disease and he would walk again? Yes.

But, as I left the hospital, knowing that he's been battling this disease for 20 some years, and that the disease has been slowly winning, and that he can't even lift a finger or move a toe, much less walk, I couldn't help but wonder . . .

Where's the line between a committed, unshakable faith and outright denial?

And I don't have the answer to that one.

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.