Monday, July 20, 2009

Always On

I was reminded yet again yesterday that I am always on and that I need to pay attention every minute of every day of every action and every word.

This, also, is one of the things you never hear about in seminary.

Without going into the details, let's just say that I was confronted by a parishioner who told me about something I did several months ago that upset him and now I'm running damage control.

Words always parsed . . . actions always scrutinized . . . Always On.

And sometimes, even when I know that, things happen. I can't always know when I slip, but I can always try to keep better traction.

2 comments:

~**Dawn**~ | 10:28 AM, July 20, 2009  

Sometimes I feel like there are people in our congregation at my church that forget that the Pastors are still human. It must be exhausting at times to be "always on" & subjected to a stricter standard of scrutiny. The way you mentioned that they don't teach you this in seminary makes me think of something a surgeon friend of mine said in regard to completing residency & getting into actual practice: they teach you how to operate on the patients but no one ever tells you that you need a business degree as well to actually do the job of being a surgeon.

Reverend Ref + | 3:22 PM, July 20, 2009  

lol . . . oh yeah, the business degree. Budgets, insurance, comp, audits, sub-contractors, payroll deductions . . .

The reason nobody tells us this is because, if we knew, there wouldn't be any priests.

First time comments will be moderated.