Saturday, November 21, 2009

Birthdays

I sort of knew this somewhere in the back of my head, but I was specifically reminded of it this morning while I was listening to ESPN on the computer.

ESPN turned 30 this year -- September 7, to be exact.

I remember when they came out. I may not remember the first show, but I remember the early days of ESPN, watching things like Australian Rules Football, the Professional Tiddly-Wink Championship, Curling and the Jumping Frog Contest from Calaveras County (okay, I may be taking some poetic license here, but I DO remember ARF).

My father used to make snide remarks about "that new sports network" that rarely showed sports people would actually watch, as well as the fact that there was really no entertainment involved (remember, ESPN is Entertainment and Sports Programming Network). He was pretty sure they'd be off the air in less than two years.

Well, now ESPN is a multi-million, if not multi-billion, dollar industry with serious sports contracts, two networks, multiple radio stations around the country and websites popping up all over. And NOBODY refers to them as "that new sports network" anymore.

Why am I blogging about this, you may ask? Because in the summer of 1979 the Episcopal Church gathered in Denver for their 66th General Convention. Among other things that happened in Denver, GC formally approved the revised prayer book. So it was that in 1979 The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments and Other Rites and Ceremonies of the Church, Together with The Psalter or Psalms of David became the standard of worship for TEC.

The BCP and ESPN both turned 30 this year. And yet, why is it that ESPN is no longer "that new sports network," while some people continue to insist on referring to the BCP as "that new prayer book"?

Just something to ponder on this Saturday morning as I say a few prayers with BCP in hand before turning to watch college football on ESPN.

1 comments:

Lady Anne | 5:57 PM, November 05, 2010  

Yup, thirty years - actually thirty-one - and I still don't like Rite II. Call me a flaming conservative - see if I care!

First time comments will be moderated.