Monday, February 21, 2011

Really? I mean . . . REALLY???

We need new Oregon driver's licenses. In Montana, this was a breeze. We went to the local DMV office, showed proof of residency, our valid IL licenses, filled out a form, and were issued our new licenses (temps given that day, the actual license came in about 2-3 weeks if I remember correctly).

When we moved from WA to IL, the process was a little less easy. Had to go to the local DMV and W....A.....I.....T, took a written test, had our picture taken and were issued our licenses on the spot. It was a lot like getting a new Costco card. Other than the W.....A.....I.....T.....I......N.......G, it was pretty painless.

Oregon, however, is a different story. You have to go to your local DMV office (which is NOT open on Saturday), provide proof of citizenship (passport, SSN, proof of residency, former state's license and whatever else they're requiring), take a written test and pay $60 per person for a new license. So, just when is a working person supposed to go get this done if the DMV isn't open on Saturday?

Well, you go to the Big City's DMV office 30 miles down the road, where they ARE open on Saturday.

Oops ... we forgot to tell you ... This office doesn't do testing on Saturday, you'll have to come back during the week.

I'm wondering if, instead of paying the DMV $60/person for our licenses I can issue them an invoice for my time and lost wages due to having to come in on a weekday.

Twerps. I'm surprised more people haven't got DMV'ing instead of "postal."

4 comments:

Mark J | 5:36 PM, February 21, 2011  

I can't wait to see what it takes in Nevada. In Oklahoma you go to a commercially run place called a "tag agency." They get some paperwork started. You then take that paperwork to a State run DMV type place (which happened to be 30 minutes from the tag agency). They process the paperwork and take your picture, and sign some forms. You then take those forms back to the tag agency, which takes another picture and instantly gives you your driver's license.

There wasn't a ton on waiting, but the hour spent driving there and back makes me wonder about the additional step.

Is the proof of residency thing for the "universal ID" system that Homeland Security started mandating a few years back?

Anonymous | 6:50 PM, February 21, 2011  

For my new car I had to take the old title to a specific KHP office for inspection (odometer/VIN check) on a closed road and make three separate attempts with many phone calls to the dealership in order to get my plate. Thank God they didn't ask for an in-state driver's license, that comes from another location and my MO license still had two years left...

DMV'ing, I like it.

Lady Anne | 4:43 PM, February 22, 2011  

I have to say Maryland is pretty easy. I've never been there on a Saturday, but during the week things move along fairly quickly. Info counter first, and they give you a number and send you to either the "Driver" side (new license, etc.) or the "Vehicle" side. You find a seat - lots of benches - and wait for your number. Picture taken (and retaken if you HATE it), laminated, and new license on the spot. The license is good for five years, and there is a form you can get your eye doctor to sign saying your vision is still good, which will get you a five year renewal, so essentially it's good for ten years, which ain't too bad, a'tall, a'tall.

The only problem I've ever had was when I changed my name; the woman at the information counter insisted "you can't change your name just because you feel like it". I had to run to my daughter's home, print off the relevant section of Maryland State law and go back for a "so there!" session, but once I got past her, it was a snap. I was out in about fifteen minutes. (Most Biblical names are fine, but please consider carefully before you pin one on your helpless offspring!)

Scaffolding in London | 11:22 AM, March 07, 2011  

Pretty nice post

First time comments will be moderated.