Monday, August 15, 2011

Ob-la di, ob-la da

My father-in-law died this past Friday. I got a call at 3:40 a.m. from my mother-in-law instructing us to "get here as soon as you can."

Gotta give credit to the two women I live with -- they were up, dressed, packed for the weekend, out the door and on the road by 5. I drove the whole way while Mrs. Ref received updates. I also called another church and asked the secretary there (because my secretary was on vacation) to see if she couldn't track down a supply priest for Sunday as I would not be home in time. All in all, we did pretty good for following up on contingency plans while driving north.

As it turned out, we did not make it to the hospital before he died.

And now comes the job of tying up loose ends. The memorial service will be at the Episcopal church in Wenatchee and they have really been helpful to us through this. So this week is busy prepping for both Saturday and Sunday services -- along with a couple of really long drives thrown in there as well.

Give rest, O Christ, to your servant with your saints.

2 comments:

Anonymous | 10:08 AM, August 17, 2011  

Oh! How difficult it must be for your wife and daughter to have lost their father and grandfather. Even when death is not unexpected, there is still a sense of shock. How DO people cope without a faith in the Resurrection?

Let light perpetual shine upon him, O Lord.

Blessings to you all.

Lady Anne, who still has to remain anonymous.

Susie/Nuevacantora | 1:46 PM, August 17, 2011  

I'm so sorry to hear this. Hugs and love to you and the women in your house.

First time comments will be moderated.