Thursday, May 09, 2013

Technology . . .

Ain't all it's cracked up to be.

I am the Dean of the Southern Convocation of the Diocese of Oregon.  Oregon calls them "Convocations," a lot of other dioceses call them "Deaneries."

This means that I need to oversee a few things, help out colleagues when needed, gather us for get-togethers, and meet with the Bishop and other Deans every so often.  Practically speaking, the only thing I really do is meet with the Bishop and co-preside at Convocation meetings.

And, if you care about such things, it means I get to put a "Very" in my official title, as in, The Very Rev. Ref.  That was much cooler back in Montana when I was on the VFD and a captain.  The title then was, "The Very Rev. Capt. Chaplain Ref."  But there wasn't a business card big enough for that.

ANYWAY . . .

I meet with the Bishop and other Deans every so often.  To save on a day's travel, some of these meetings are done via GoToMeeting.  While good in theory, they have generally sucked in real life.

Today's meeting was full of an echo.  Which meant out conversation sounded sort of like this:

Bishopbishopshopop,  Whatwhathatat cancanann youyouou telltellellll memeeee aboutaboutboutouttt thetheheee planplanlanann totoooo includeincludedcludeudedd ....

Yeah.  The thing lasted about 1-1/2 hours, and I'm exhausted.  The good news is that I didn't spend 4-1/2 hours driving to an 1-1/2 hour meeting.

But still . . . every time I deal with this stuff, I ask myself:  We put a man on the moon and we can't figure out how to do X??

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.