Ain't all it's cracked up to be.
I am the Dean of the Southern Convocation of the Diocese of Oregon. Oregon calls them "Convocations," a lot of other dioceses call them "Deaneries."
This means that I need to oversee a few things, help out colleagues when needed, gather us for get-togethers, and meet with the Bishop and other Deans every so often. Practically speaking, the only thing I really do is meet with the Bishop and co-preside at Convocation meetings.
And, if you care about such things, it means I get to put a "Very" in my official title, as in, The Very Rev. Ref. That was much cooler back in Montana when I was on the VFD and a captain. The title then was, "The Very Rev. Capt. Chaplain Ref." But there wasn't a business card big enough for that.
ANYWAY . . .
I meet with the Bishop and other Deans every so often. To save on a day's travel, some of these meetings are done via GoToMeeting. While good in theory, they have generally sucked in real life.
Today's meeting was full of an echo. Which meant out conversation sounded sort of like this:
Bishopbishopshopop, Whatwhathatat cancanann youyouou telltellellll memeeee aboutaboutboutouttt thetheheee planplanlanann totoooo includeincludedcludeudedd ....
Yeah. The thing lasted about 1-1/2 hours, and I'm exhausted. The good news is that I didn't spend 4-1/2 hours driving to an 1-1/2 hour meeting.
But still . . . every time I deal with this stuff, I ask myself: We put a man on the moon and we can't figure out how to do X??
Thursday, May 09, 2013
Ain't all it's cracked up to be.
A Few Words About Comments
1) If you comment, leave a name. If you can't figure out how to log in or register or whatever the system is making you do (which, believe me, I fully understand how frustrating that can be) and you must comment anonymously . . . leave a name in the comment section. Purely anonymous comments will be deleted.
2) Comments I deem to be offensive, irrelevant, or generally trollish will be deleted. I'm mainly talking to the Akurians here. Don't make me get out my flag!
3) If you would like to receive e-mail notification of other comments so you can more easily follow a conversation (yeah, like I ever have those on this blog), you must register with Blogger. Sorry . . . I didn't have anything to do with that one.
Enjoy the game.
- Awesome Food Recipes
- Awkward Family Photos
- Brick Testament
- Cake Wrecks
- Catholic Satire
- G.U. "Zags" Men's Basketball
- G.U. "Zags" Women's Basketball
- Motivational Reality
- Muppet World
- Optical Illusions
- Oregon Stuff
- Patriot Act Game
- Red Green
- Right Behind
- Secular Religion
- There -- I fixed it!
- Veggie Tales!
- WHL Hockey
small god in an itty-bitty box that i made in wood shop
Church News Sites
- Alma Mater
- Anglican Liturgy in New Zealand
- BCPs of the Anglican Communion
- Bible Gateway
- Canadian Confirmation
- Christian Classics Etheral Library
- Crosswalk Bible Concordance
- Daily Office Prayer Service
- Daily Offices
- Doable Evangelism
- Episcopal Evangelism
- Episcopal Sermons & Bible Studies That Work
- Ken Collins' Theology and Stuff
- Lectionary for the Church Year
- NRSV Bible Resource
- Olive Tree Bible Search
- Orthodox History
- Pop Theology
- Reel Theology
- Small Churches
- The Anglican Theological Review
- The Hymnal 1982
- The Thoughtful Christian
- Vital Churches
- Working Preacher