Saturday, June 29, 2013

Getting Ready

The football season is right around the corner.

I've registered and paid my dues for the upcoming year; I've ordered a new pair of pants and two new flags; I've got a board meeting tomorrow evening; and I'm watching a CFL game on tv (Saskatchewan at Edmonton).

I'm also getting my body in shape for the season, which mainly means going to the football field at the junior high and running sprints, side steps, backpedaling and a combination of those.  Besides getting the body in shape so I don't do any damage and get the heart and lungs used to that type of exercise, it gets me acclimated to doing that stuff in 95+ degree heat.

Lower level games are usually scheduled for 3 or 4 in the afternoon, which means it's blistering hot.

As I was coming back from a run yesterday, a car pulled up next to me.  It was one of my officiating buddies.  He rolled down the window and said, "White hats don't need to exercise!"

Meaning that since I work mainly as a white hat (Referee), I don't have to run nearly as much as everyone else does.

Well, besides being not true, I pointed out that I was mainly trying to avoid collapsing on the 45-yard line from heat stroke at my first game.

All that to say -- Football season is right around the corner.

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.