Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Well this could get interesting . . .

I have been a regular follower of Slacktivist for . . . wow . . . probably twelve years now.  I started reading his blog back in seminary when the issue of end times and the validity of "Left Behind" came up.  One of my professors told me that he did a really good job of deconstructing LB and pointing out why it was all wrong.

So I started reading.

At some point I got brave enough to begin commenting.  I mean, there were a lot of good comments and a lot of deep thoughts that, for a long time, I didn't feel I could measure up to.  But finally I decided to jump in.  And it seems to have worked out.

I wouldn't say I've made "friends," but the experience has been good.  I've learned some.  Been challenged some.  Got people to think some.  And last year when my area was surrounded by wildfires, I was surprised and humbled at the outpouring of prayers and well-wishes from fellow Slacktivites.

Yesterday one of the regular readers posted a response to something I had written and basically said, "Hey, I've got some questions.  Can we chat?"  So I gave him/her (not sure of the gender -- most people use online names that don't identify) my e-mail and said, "Sure, sounds good."

Today there were at least three other requests for the same thing and one person proclaimed it the "Slacktivist spiritual hotline."

I'm thinking about posting up the questions and my answers here, as well as via e-mail chats.

This will either be an extraordinary and wonderful experience, or someone is going to report me to the bishop and I'll be looking for a new job.

3 comments:

Anonymous | 7:57 AM, July 10, 2014  

Slacktivist is one of the (indirect) reasons I'm in seminary - or at least one of the windows through which I came to see the possibility of some parts of the church not being completely toxic. That continuing conversation is (virtual) holy ground.

(I'm a regular reader and infrequent commenter there as well - which is how I found your page a couple of years ago when I Really Needed to start reading clergy blogs.)

The internet is - funnily enough - made of people, with everything that entails. And, how does it go? Wherever two or three are gathered...

The challenge with social media, always, is keeping boundaries.

Ivkra | 9:57 AM, July 10, 2014  

Well, for what it's worth, it was your comments at Slacktivist that got me interested in the Episcopal church, your sermons here that finally prompted me to start attending, and I've been to service every week for about a year now.

Normally I'd follow that by saying I have no regrets, but after an interminable and unnecessarily hostile vestry meeting last night... uh, a few partial regrets. But I'll still be there Sunday, and the next, and the next, and the next... And but so anyway, in the long run, no regrets. And thank you.

Reverend Ref + | 9:17 AM, July 11, 2014  

sandhilldiary: Funny how things work out. Re: social media boundaries, I am probably more cautious than others; which has its own set of drawbacks. Blessings on your seminary journey.

Ivkra: Thanks for the comments. Vestry meetings . . . yeah, well. It's the business of the church that always causes problems. FWIW, after three years in my current location, I finally have a vestry that is exciting to be a part of. Glad to hear you found a home.

First time comments will be moderated.