Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Missed Calls

I have a hobby in which I am expected to be perfect from the first time I walk out onto the field and get better from there.

I have a job in which I am expected to be perfect from the time the sun comes up until the time the sun comes up the next day.

Every once in awhile I miss a call on the field.  Sometimes I know I miss a call because half the people in the stadium and everybody on one sideline lets me know I missed a call.  Sometimes I know I missed a call because either I get a sick feeling in my stomach that I missed something, or, after replaying the situation in my head, I realize I missed it.

Every so often I miss a call on the job.  Sometimes I know I miss a call because there is no shortage of people who let me know I missed it.  Sometimes I know I missed something because, upon further review, I realize I missed it.

Either way, I try to perform to the best of my ability.  Many times that is acceptable.  Sometimes it's not, and a call is missed.

And sometimes, when it seems like the stadium is raining down cat calls and questioning my ability, sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't have been a weatherman.

1 comments:

Lady Anne | 6:08 PM, October 28, 2015  

Middle Daughter's beau du jour once questioned the fact that my dad had high blood pressure. "He's a preacher, right? That isn't a stressful job, is it?"

A weatherman or an economist are both safe bets. The weather and the world's money both do what they wish, no matter what the "experts" say.

First time comments will be moderated.