Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Teachable Moments

Yesterday I had a new official with me in the car.  Not always, but often, the conversation turns to religion in general and my job in particular.  That's especially the case when I have a newbie riding with me, or I'm the newbie and the guys want to learn about me.  Yesterday was the former.

"So will you be going to the same church or a different church when you move?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, are you going to the same type of church, or are you going to something totally different?"

"I'll be going to the same type of church, yes."

"And what religion are you again?"

"I'm a Christian."

"Well, yeah .... but what kind?"

"I'm an Episcopalian.  So I'll be going to another Episcopal church."

Silence ....

"An Epicospahwhut?"

"Episcopalian ... E -- pih -- Scuh -- Pay -- lian ... just like it's spelled."

"And what is that?"

Here we go .... "In short, we're basically in between the Roman Catholics and the Protestants."

"Huh . . . well I knew there were Catholics and Christians, but I didn't know ..."

"Stop right there ... Catholics ARE Christians."

"Yeah, okay ... but weren't there the Christians first and then the Catholics broke off from that."

**Sigh**  I refrained from slamming my head against the steering wheel.

"Where do you attend church?"

"I go to Local Independent Conservative Bible Believing Church."

"Ah ...."

Here's hoping his grasp of football rules is better than his grasp of Religion 101.

4 comments:

Lady Anne | 1:57 PM, August 25, 2016  

And King James still rules the world! The Squire has a cousin who is A) probably a member of the same church, and B) a retired Air Force pilot. To his day, he remains bemused by the fact that the world "looks rounds" when the Bible speaks of the "Four corners of the Earth". Apparently, God works with smoke and mirrors.

spookyrach | 4:01 PM, August 25, 2016  

oh wow.

wow.

Laughing about the name of the church. Is that a real thing?

spookyrach | 4:02 PM, August 25, 2016  

Wait - just re-read it. Got that it's not the real name of the church. Duh! :D

Reverend Ref + | 4:34 PM, August 25, 2016  

Lady: Oh wow. There's got to be some hardcore denial going on there.

Spooky: No, that's not the name of the church, just a very good synopsis. Besides, I try not to say anything that would get me in more trouble than I already am.

First time comments will be moderated.