Tuesday, December 23, 2003

THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL (IS A FREIGHT TRAIN)

Just under six months and counting. In that time I need to take the GOE, spend a quarter in field-ed learning about the life of a parish rector, make application for ordination to the diaconate, take my last slate of classes, meet with the COM, Standing Committee and Bishop one more time, participate in my final Triduum at SWTS and graduate. Thrown in there somewhere I'm hoping for a job interview or two or three or four that actually come with an offer.

The excitement of FINALLY being done with this part of the process is being checked with the apprehension of getting a job and living up to standards expressed in letters of reference. I don't know what it is, but when I read what some people have said about me it's like, "Wow, they see that?!?" We really are our own worst enemies, aren't we.

In other news, I have been asked to travel to Galena, IL, to preach on 2/15. My wife and I went out there last year so that I could preach on "Theological Education Sunday." We had a great time, and Fr. North and his wife were/are gracious hosts. I have asked permission from my field ed supervisor for that time off and he agreed that it would be good for me to go. And since the 16th is a school holiday, I think we'll bring the kid with us this time.

Back to that freight train, I guess what makes this time so stressful is the convergence of a lot of different trains of thought (nice pun!!!). GOE, interviews, field ed, final finals, job hunting, ordinations. I promise never to say, "It was so easy in seminary."

Peace

0 comments:

First time comments will be moderated.