Monday, March 05, 2007

AL CAPONE'S SECRET VAULT . . . or . . . THE TOMB OF JESUS

Okay .... so I watched "The Secret Tomb of Jesus" (or "Jesus' Tomb Uncovered" or "The Jesus Tomb Code" or something like that) last night on Discovery. This falls under the category of "I need to watch this because someone is going to ask me about it." Call it a job hazard.

Or maybe call it Continuing Education . . . hmmm

Anyway, I watched this show last night. I was sort of grumpy that it was two hours long and it didn't come on until 10 p.m. local time. Then there was a one hour discussion afterwards. Come on people! At least air it at a reasonable hour.

I was struck by two thoughts as I watched it. The first being that this tomb could might possibly perchance have some possibility of being the actual tomb of Jesus' family simply based on cursory statistical thoughts that say something like this: Yes, Jesus, Mary, Matthew and other names found in the tomb were common for the era, but what are the chances that ALL of those important biblical names are in one spot buried together?

The second thought was that this was a case of the filmmaker using/bending the situation to fit his predisposed theory. In other words, it was a video proof-texting of the evidence.

I am not a scientist nor an archaeologist nor even a first class theologian, so if you want further information on the show, you'll need to look somewhere else. In particular, go visit Ben Witherington's blog . . . um . . . Ben Witherington. He has a very good deconstruction of the show over there, ala Slacktivist deconstructing Left Behind, and I think you will find it very informative.

Assessment: It was sort of interesting, but I would rather have not stayed up past my bedtime to watch it.

2 comments:

Phil | 11:23 AM, March 05, 2007  

Yeah, it was awfully late.

My first thought when I heard about the film was "wow, this is science. This is something I need to think about--and be prepared for it to shake my paradigms."

In the end it seems to be a bunch of conjecture deceptively packaged as fact. Not science at all...not even journalism in the modern usage.

I feel kind of soiled. And I wish I could get those hours of my life back.

www.wildrye.com

Seven Star Hand | 12:21 PM, March 05, 2007  

Christians again prove many are unabashed enemies of the truth

Hey Rev,

After finally watching the Jesus Tomb documentary and the hour of critical look "debates" following it, I am left with the sad conclusion that a large percentage of Christians will always oppose the truth, regardless of how it is presented. It has been amazing to watch people who regularly oppose critical thought and science hypocritically assert that critical thought and science supports so-called "biblical evidence" in their efforts to debunk this archeological find and associated theories. Many of these same people have the gall to complain about "theatrics" used to present these findings, as if Christianity has never turned a profit or stooped to even slicker and far more dubious methods pushing their stories and interpretations. Though I too have problems with the way this documentary and religion in general have been sold, for profit, I also think this information deserves a much closer examination and consideration than a simple knee jerk defense of New Testament claims. Do Christians really think that the Creator of all knowledge and wisdom wants them to blindly oppose all newly discovered truths? Which primary characters in the Bible is this level of deception most often attributed to?

When finally confronted with the truth about what happened two millennia ago, these people will be completely unable to discern the true Messiah (me) from long-term lies and will fight tooth and nail to cling to the Roman deceptions and strong delusions of the New Testament. Christianity has always been an enemy of science, truth, and justice and recent events strongly reinforce this observation.

Read More ...

Here is Wisdom !!

First time comments will be moderated.