Friday, January 25, 2008

Fish or Cut Bait

I had the first of two annual meetings last Sunday. We had eight people present. There were no vestry nominations. There were no diocesan convention delegate nominations.

I had a feeling something like this was going to happen, so the week before the meeting I wrote a "fish or cut bait" letter (also known as a "put up or shut up" letter).

I told one of my colleagues about it and he said, "That must have been a hard letter to write."

"Actually," I replied, "it was really easy."

What was difficult was revising the letter so I didn't come across quite so .... pissy.

It just might be that the question in 2008 isn't, “How will we keep the doors open?” Instead, it might be that the question is, “How can we end the life of Christ Church with dignity and allow her members to unburden themselves of the responsibility of maintaining a church community and building?”

I dropped the letter off at the Post Office last night. People should have it today. I will be at the second annual meeting this coming Sunday, so people at Parish #1 will have plenty of opportunity to talk about it without me being around.

I have a feeling 2008 is going to be an interesting year.

2 comments:

EYouthWNY | 10:52 AM, January 25, 2008  

Good for you! At our last convention we the results of a study done of who the diocese REALLY is today. Some of it was scary. Like the congregation with an ASA of 4. They don't have their mandated reports in, they didn't even send anyone to convention and they don't pay their diocesan support (big surprise). But for some reason we aren't moving to close what is obviously an already dead congregation. Makes me crazy.

JP

Anonymous | 2:07 PM, January 25, 2008  

Well, it'll be interesting to see what they choose. It could be no one has forced them to make a conscious choice before!

Good work. Keep us posted.

First time comments will be moderated.