Monday, March 17, 2008

Dinner Conversation

Last week, Mrs. Ref posted about a dinner conversation between me and The Kid. You can read the whole conversation over at her place, but here's a piece of it:

Says The Kid: "I mean the Catholic church started in England and we split off of that other church, oh... I cant remember which one but I watched a show about it on the history channel. The church in Rome."

Oy . . . What's a priest to do?

I finally figured out that she just wasn't getting this, so I drew her a picture.

THIS, then, is Dining Room Church History (and yes, you may notice I have the wrong date for Augustine of Canterbury, but by this time I was going for Overall Concept and not specific dates).



(sorry that I didn't get this rotated the right way, but you get the idea)

3 comments:

Unknown | 12:42 PM, March 17, 2008  

The squiggly line between TEC and Lutheran would definitely seem to define that relationship. "Let's do this.. No wait... well maybe we should go over here.. etc... etc... etc."

Padre Mickey | 1:04 PM, March 17, 2008  

If my kids had said that they'd have been sent to their room with no dinner and a copy of JRH Moorman's A History of the Church in England with a quiz to follow the next morning!

Actually, I taught my girls Church History, Bible Stories, and theology at the dinner table.

Have a blessed Holy Week.

Anonymous | 9:53 PM, March 17, 2008  

Reminds me of when a young friend (22 years old) wanted to discuss the Passion of Christ with me. When I asked him if he felt the movie was anti-Semitic, he gave a resounding "No" but then added "But those Roman Catholic priests were horrible people". He was also kind enough to tell me he was "baptized a Presbyterian".

Barbara from Jane's Region

First time comments will be moderated.